Help with a tecumseh engine

Old 05-07-06, 02:06 PM
Wink Help with a tecumseh engine

Hello All... I got a really good deal on a tiller at a yard sale, well maybe...Any way the guy let me crank it, and it fired right up..The only thing is it runs wide open with no control and started to smell like it was getting really hot...It seems that someone has tampered with the governor control, or either a screw has come loose or something. The engine seems to run good except for this, it is a MTD tiller. The engine model # is ohh60, 6 hp. Now i'm wondering if this is something i might be able to fix or should i take it to a shop. I do all my own regular maintenance on my car, truck, lawnmower and such, but would need some help with this....Thanks any and all...Oren

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-06, 03:39 PM
Well oren,if your sure that the throttle just isn't stuck,or the idle screw isn't run all the way out or in, then take a 1/4" nutdriver and losen the bolt holding the gov.lever to the gov.shaft.While holding the throttle "open" turn the gov.shaft CCW all the way then tighten screw again.
But be ready to turn the engine off.Because B&S turns one way and Tecumseh turns the other.And I can't remember whitch is whitch.

Old 05-09-06, 08:03 AM
Red face repair guy

thanks repair guy for your help...OK to start with let me ask this first, does the gov shaft only turn just a tad either left or right..I can turn it just a little left or right with my finger after loosening the allen screw that holds the gov lever in place..I tried it both ways and when it cranks it still wants to run wide open and starts getting hot real fast. But i would only let it run for a few seconds. I tried setting the gov about half way and it will still try to run way to fast, but you can push the throttle lever down just a little and it will slow down, but if you push it any more it will cut off, while still in the run position. Is the gov position that sensitive or am i just not doing something right...It is a tecumseh 6hp ohv xl, 71104c engine, on a tiller. Do you happen to know of a web site that would show an illustration of this engine showing the springs and such...Oren

Old 05-09-06, 03:28 PM
Yes, the throw of the shaft is minute. Do just as repair_guy explained and do not force the shaft - loosen the nut, hold the throttle at WOT (wide open throttle), rotate the shaft in the same direction as the link has to move for WOT (this is applicable to ALL small engines, regardless of crank configuration or otherwise), tighten the nut. In other words, if the throttle link moves leftward for full throttle, so too does the governor shaft (CCW) and if it moves rightward, the shaft must move right (CW). If, after you complete this, the engine still races AND you're sure the throttle is not varnished or binding in any other way, then you have internal governor trouble and would require engine disassembly. Post back and let us know.

Old 05-09-06, 04:37 PM
Wink

Thanks Guys for all the help...OK, I beleive i got the governor set right, and to make it stop running wide open i moved the spring that hooks to the gov lever to the next hole. This makes it idle down and run more like it should. I think maybe the carb needs to be taken off and disassembled and cleaned. The man said it had'nt been used in a long time. The primer bulb does not work, you can push on it but there is nothing. I can start it with the filter off and hold my hand over the opening while pulling the rope and that will get it started...Is there a rebuilding kit that i would need, or just try cleaning it good first.

Old 05-10-06, 03:53 AM
Post back with the engine spec. number and I'll provide you with a rebuild kit (and any other potential needed parts) number(s).

Old 05-19-06, 05:32 AM
Talking

Well, maybe its something else? I lossen the bolt that adjust the governor lever on the governor shaft. If i push the lever to the left it open the throttle wide open. I then turn the shaft to the left also, and tighten. When i let go of the gov lever the throttle goes back to idle position and the gov shaft moves just a little to the right. The governor shaft is flat on the very end. If it is all the way to left it is in a horizontal level position, when it turns all the way to right it is at about a 20 or 25 degree angle. When i do this adjustment and move the slide control to the turtle position, it will crank and run, but may have to play with the throttle a little to keep it running. But when i push the slide control to the rabbit position, it sounds like it is running way to fast but not running away. If i attempt to move the slide control down very much, it will cut off. I can adjust the slide control to just the right position and it will run ok to till my garden, but i keep having to move the control back down a little because with the engine running it vibrates some and the control is very sensitive. If it goes to wide open it turns the tines to fast as it is throwing dirt everywhere.. One other thing if is at idle, i can keep it running by constantly pushing the priming bulb when it is about to cut off..Sorry for all the rambling...Thanks again guys...Oren

Old 05-21-06, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is only one proper setting for the governor arm, which is described above. Reset that and it will be as it should be, and then you can address the carburetor problems I think you have. Keeping it running by pushing the primer bulb indicates a carb in need of cleaning.