No Spark - Bad starter??

Old 05-07-06, 04:38 PM
No Spark - Bad starter??

Hello,
I have an old Ariens RM830E riding mower, with a 8 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. When I turn the key the solenoid clicks repeatedly, but that is all that happens. The stater doesn't come up to engage the flywheel. I have checked all the wires for continuity, and have removed the kill switch from the coil, still nothing. Battery is new and charged, and the coil is new too. All the wiring appears to be original and for the most part intact. Any advice you could offer would be wonderful, I don't want to throw any more money at this old thing! thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-06, 05:12 PM
Bob

Your solenoid may be clicking, which would mean the electromagnet in it is working, but the contacts inside may be bad. I would suggest following the cable from the battery to the solenoid. This would represent the current into the solenoid. That point should test hot all the time. Now go to the other side of the solenoid or the current out (going to the starter) and check that post when you hit the start key. It should register a current that would stop when you release the key.

If that is OK, perform the same test at the starter. If it is getting current, then your problem is at and in the starter. If that is the case, hold the key in the start position and tap the starter lightly with a small hammer. If it works then, the problem is in the starter brushes. They could be loosened up as a fix or may need to be replaced altogether.

Hope this helps

Old 05-07-06, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the solenoid is chattering, the starter is not the problem. The chattering solenoid is caused by low voltage, usually a low or bad battery, or loose/corroded connections.

Old 05-10-06, 04:33 PM
No Spark - Bad Starter

Thanks for the advice cheese. I swapped out the battery I was using with an older (more reliable I guess) one, and that got me spark and the engine to crank. Now it just won't turn over for me. I'll look into that when I have more time, but thanks for the advice, this amatuer really appreciates it!