Can anyone reccomend a good riding mower

Old 05-08-06, 05:33 AM
Can anyone reccomend a good riding mower

My preferences are at least 42" - preferably larger (i have 2 acres to cut)

Faster is better.

I would love one that has the exhaust in the rear. Right now my craftsmen leaves me smelling like exhaust fumes.. plus I'm not wild about breathing it for 2+ hours every week.

Quieter would be nice too. But I can always wear earplugs... so not a must..

Appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-06, 08:29 AM
gsr
Mowers...

I've been looking at a lot of them. Don't know of any tractor style mowers with the exhaust in the rear but they might exist. If that is a priority check out the zero turn mowers.
Based on looking on the internet, checking out the tractors, and a lot of help from this site I'm picking up a Cub Cadet 1042 or 1046 today (still haven't decided) The 1046 ($1899) has a 46" deck and a twin cylinder Kohler engine so it should be quieter and smoother but the engine in the 1042 ($1599) is one of the newer ones with anti-vibration features and is pretty quiet at smooth. They also make a 1050 ($1999) which has a 50" deck and a 23 HP Kohler Courage V-twin - basically same thing as the 1046 only a larger deck.

I would have preferred the Simplicity Regent line but those were another $500-800 more and outside my budget. The Craftsman seem to have several nice features and a well liked here but in the sizes I was looking for I preferred the Cub.

Happy shopping!

Old 05-08-06, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your thoughts

I really do want to try to find a rear exhaust model. I wonder if there is such a thing...

Old 05-08-06, 10:54 PM
fallguy
Visiting Guest
Look at most recent issue of consumer reports. They just reviewed riding mowers in depth. Have not had time to study yet.

2 acres is a lot of yard!

Old 05-09-06, 05:38 PM
Thx

GREAT TIP Thanks.

it's actually 2 1/2 acres, but I dont cut all of it every week

Old 05-10-06, 03:50 AM
Other than a custom exhaust pipe fabrication, you will find no front engine lawn tractor with such rearward outlet. With as much as you have to mow, if a zero-turn is in your budget, this is the way to go. And since the engine is in the rear, so too will the exhaust.

Old 05-10-06, 06:36 AM
that's what I'm finding ..

my research suggests exactly that... and given the amount of time spent, it would seem worth the expense to trade up. The zero turn machines appear to offer higher speeds as well

thx