Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs and Stratton governor troubles

05-08-06, 10:30 AM   #1  
Briggs and Stratton governor troubles

I've aquired a Roper mower with a B & S 252707 (type 0172-01, code 79102211) 11 HP vertical engine. The previous owner had dismantled the carb and governor after a flood.
I can't get the governor hooked up properly. Any diagrams etc. on which linkage goes where? Engine runs but governor appears useless. Ideas?

Phil.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-06, 12:30 AM   #2  
Is the governor arm off the engine, or the control box, or just the linkage? The linkage should run from the governor arm to the throttle on the carb. If the control box is off, there should be a short spring that connects to a moving arm in the control bax to the hole near the bottom of the governor arm.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-09-06, 03:50 AM   #3  
idler arm and springs

Everything appears to be in the right position except for the spring that is attached to the governor link. The link goes from the governor arm to the throttle on the carb, and moves back and forth. There is a very fine spring attached to this link at the governor casing but I cant tell where the end by the carb should attach. It was attached to the same hole as the link but this makes no sense for when the rod retracts, so does the spring. It must attach elsewhere.
Any ideas?
Thanks for the answer.
Phil

TX

05-09-06, 05:40 AM   #4  
That very fine spring is there to take up slack in the gov rod. It just attaches at each end with rod to take care of wear in the holes the rod ends go in. I have one like yours. If needed I'll take pics and E-mail them to you. Leave E-mail add in PM.
Mike

05-09-06, 09:46 AM   #5  
pics of governor

Thanks Mike, that would be great.
I took it all apart this morning and realized there was one connecting rod in the wrong place. A photo would be great.
You can send it to [email protected]
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Phil

CT

12-03-10, 12:47 PM   #6  
B&S Governor Pictures

Member Join Date:Jan 2005
That very fine spring is there to take up slack in the gov rod. It just attaches at each end with rod to take care of wear in the holes the rod ends go in. I have one like yours. If needed I'll take pics and E-mail them to you. Leave E-mail add in PM.
Mike
Hi Mike, found this posting after banging my head against the walls & tearing out almost all my hair! The B&S website & manuals all seem to be a waste of time & effort so far, except for a pretty comprehensive parts list!

Ihave the same basic problem as Phil did in this older post & hope you can help me as well.

My engine is a B&S 11HP I/C MODEL # 254422 TYPE 0526 CODE 01

Someone prior to my ownership of the Little Wonder Leaf Blower (little wonder it EVER started or ran at ALL!) apparently had it apart at sometime, & the only parts left on it connecting the Control Bracket/Throttle Shaft & Governor Arm, is a short spring & the long Throttle Link Rod From the Gov Arm to the Throttle PLate.

I ordered the missing rods & springs from a local B&S dealer, but the 2 manuals I have (B&S 27096 recomended by the LW owners manual) & the B&S Small Engine Care & Repair book, have no pictures or diagrams or even verbal instructions as to exactly which rods & springs hook from where to where.

Can you possibly help me out? I am getting quite exhasperated here with this.

Thanks, Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05-09-06 10:46 AM #5 pdesorm
Members Join Date:May 2006
pics of governor
I took it all apart this morning and realized there was one connecting rod in the wrong place. A photo would be great.
Phil

MO

12-03-10, 03:53 PM   #7  
Posted By: joepeterson56 Member Join Date:Jan 2005
Mike
Hi Mike, found this posting after banging my head against the walls & tearing out almost all my hair! The B&S website & manuals all seem to be a waste of time & effort so far, except for a pretty comprehensive parts list!

Ihave the same basic problem as Phil did in this older post & hope you can help me as well.

My engine is a B&S 11HP I/C MODEL # 254422 TYPE 0526 CODE 01

Someone prior to my ownership of the Little Wonder Leaf Blower (little wonder it EVER started or ran at ALL!) apparently had it apart at sometime, & the only parts left on it connecting the Control Bracket/Throttle Shaft & Governor Arm, is a short spring & the long Throttle Link Rod From the Gov Arm to the Throttle PLate.

I ordered the missing rods & springs from a local B&S dealer, but the 2 manuals I have (B&S 27096 recomended by the LW owners manual) & the B&S Small Engine Care & Repair book, have no pictures or diagrams or even verbal instructions as to exactly which rods & springs hook from where to where.

Can you possibly help me out? I am getting quite exhasperated here with this.

Thanks, Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05-09-06 10:46 AM #5 pdesorm
Members Join Date:May 2006
pics of governor
Phil
Joe;
The thread you posted to is 4 years old, everyone is probably gone, you will probably get a better response if you start a new thread, which is done with the new thread button at the top of the forum list. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread