Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trimmer starts, runs, then bogs and dies, Help Please

05-09-06, 03:47 PM   #1  
Trimmer starts, runs, then bogs and dies, Help Please

I have a green machine trimmer with a komatsu g2a engine and carburator that is a diaphragm type # 6h10cr. I took the carb apart to clean it, put it back together and replace the idle screw and mixture screw where I thought they were before.
Problem is, the trimmer will start after I prime the gas tank and then push the little button on the bottom of the carb, run for a little bit and die. When I give it throttle (and it pulls the needle up in the carb) it bogs and dies.
I re-set the mixture screw to what the clymer book says, 2.5 turns out. On top of the carb where the throttle cable plugs in that has a thread too. Where should that be? And can anyone help diagnose the problem? I have cleaned the main jet and all other cavities and lines. Thanks, Bart

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-10-06, 12:34 AM   #2  
How is the in-tank fuel filter? Furl lines? Did you replace any carb parts? Does it have a diaphragm in the carb?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-10-06, 08:36 AM   #3  
Posted By: cheese How is the in-tank fuel filter? Furl lines? Did you replace any carb parts? Does it have a diaphragm in the carb?
The in tank filter is at the end of the fuel line, its weighted and one piece that I did blow out, but its original over 20+ years old. Replaced no carb parts, just cleaned and rebuilt, the diaphragm is on the bottom of the carb assb, and it looks brand new, no cracks, although it does look stretched out a bit and is high on one side in the middle. its original.
thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-06, 01:21 AM   #4  
I think I'd replace the in tank filter (you don't have to use the exact one made for your machine since it may not be readily available). Most small engine shops should carry one that fits your line size. Also, it sounds as though your diaphragm may not be working properly. If it is too soft and stretchy, or too stiff, it could cause your problem.

God bless!

05-11-06, 09:39 AM   #5  
Thanks Cheese, I'll pick one up today and post my results. I'll look for a diaphragm too, as I thinks its pretty stretched out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-06, 12:32 AM   #6  
Another possibility I just thought of is that the exhaust may be clogged. This usually is telltale by the way it runs and dies out, but I can't explain it to you. It's just one of those things you get an ear for by experience. Probably worth checking though.

God bless!

05-12-06, 02:27 PM   #7  
Posted By: cheese Another possibility I just thought of is that the exhaust may be clogged. This usually is telltale by the way it runs and dies out, but I can't explain it to you. It's just one of those things you get an ear for by experience. Probably worth checking though.

Hi Cheese, checked that right away, its empty. I will take the filter out today and am checking for a new diaphram.
Thanks for the follow up!

Search this Thread