JACOBSEN HOMLITE 350 snowblower

Old 05-09-06, 09:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation How Do I Unseize A 2 Stroke Snowblower Engine

HI
I have a Jacobsen homelite snowblower the engine won't turn over it will not move when pulled by the rope starter the carb is also messed up i think it had a primer on it but now there's a screw in its place i would really like to try to get this thing running any idea how if the engine is sezed how do you unseze it i got some PB BLASTER oil i can spray on the parts to free them up PLEASE HELP I WANT THIS THING TO RUN.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 05-10-06 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 03:34 AM
Even if you are able to free this engine up you likely have an engine that is useless. If it is in fact seized, it likely is so at the piston and cylinder whereas the piston and ring(s) welded themselves, in essence, to the cylinder wall. You would then have major damage to all components and with any small, single cylinder engine and especially a two-stroker, this is no good. You need proper compression and vacuum for the engine to operate well. I'd pull the exhaust manifold off the jug and have a look at the piston and cylinder (depending on where in the stroke the engine seized) and go from there.

Old 05-10-06, 01:05 PM
its unsezed

Originally Posted by puey61
Even if you are able to free this engine up you likely have an engine that is useless. If it is in fact seized, it likely is so at the piston and cylinder whereas the piston and ring(s) welded themselves, in essence, to the cylinder wall. You would then have major damage to all components and with any small, single cylinder engine and especially a two-stroker, this is no good. You need proper compression and vacuum for the engine to operate well. I'd pull the exhaust manifold off the jug and have a look at the piston and cylinder (depending on where in the stroke the engine seized) and go from there.
well i got it un sezed by removing the carb opening the the little metal plate the lets fuel in sprayed the hell out of the engine with PB BLASTER took a screwdriver and hammered the fleywheel teeth the the starter would go if it had one turned it over with the rope starter and it turns sounds like it has commpression because it is poping when turning i don't have the spark plug in it yet i will turn it a few more time s to get the oil out and make sure the engine won't seze up again

Old 05-10-06, 01:25 PM
it ran

well it fired with a lttle help with fuel being pord into the carb it ran for about 3-5 secounds so im working on it

Old 05-10-06, 02:01 PM
guess what

hay guess what the idiot that had this thing before i got my hands on it removed the primer why in the world would you do that also there was what looked like saw dust in the carb and in the engine i had to scrap that out what the heck did he do i got to fire but it won't stay also the flywheel is loose it slips and won't turn the engine sometimes it will A LITTLE HELP PLEASE.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 05-10-06 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 03:15 PM
If the engine wasn't junk when you started 'repairing' it, it will be soon if you have to force it with screwdrivers and hammers. Have patients and go slowly. You probably sheared the flywheel key hammering on the teeth. That's why it will pop a bit but not start. Find the nut that holds the flywheel on and remove it. If the flywheel is loose enough so that it is turning indepenently of the crankshaft, you should be able to lift the flywheel off without a puller. The key that aligns the slot in the crank with the slot in the flywheel hub will need to be replaced.

Old 05-10-06, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by JLOpower
If the engine wasn't junk when you started 'repairing' it, it will be soon if you have to force it with screwdrivers and hammers. Have patients and go slowly. You probably sheared the flywheel key hammering on the teeth. That's why it will pop a bit but not start. Find the nut that holds the flywheel on and remove it. If the flywheel is loose enough so that it is turning indepenently of the crankshaft, you should be able to lift the flywheel off without a puller. The key that aligns the slot in the crank with the slot in the flywheel hub will need to be replaced.
its not that loose it will turn the engine but than it will slip just enough that it won't turn the engine but now its working it was running for about 3-4 secounds untill the fuel ran out that i poored into the carb.

Old 05-10-06, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by JLOpower
Well, I guess a little negativity goes a long way on this forum. Lex, check the flywheel key and replace it if needed.Make sure flywheel is torqued down good. If it's trying to run it can't be far out of time. If you get it started, have a squirt bottle with gas in it to try to keep it running for a couple of min. to see what it sounds like. You may get lucky on this, if it sounds OK, then I think it's time to kit the carb and get a primer bulb. Don't put too much money in it because if the rings/piston were seized,it's days may be numbered.
My $.02,
Mike

Old 05-10-06, 08:53 PM
neat trick

thats a neat trick i will try it and let you know what happens.

Originally Posted by mla2ofus
Well, I guess a little negativity goes a long way on this forum. Lex, check the flywheel key and replace it if needed.Make sure flywheel is torqued down good. If it's trying to run it can't be far out of time. If you get it started, have a squirt bottle with gas in it to try to keep it running for a couple of min. to see what it sounds like. You may get lucky on this, if it sounds OK, then I think it's time to kit the carb and get a primer bulb. Don't put too much money in it because if the rings/piston were seized,it's days may be numbered.
My $.02,
Mike

Old 05-11-06, 03:22 AM
Well, I guess a little negativity goes a long way on this forum.
Mike and Lex,

Not trying to be negative at all. Just pointing out the real probablity of further damage to the engine by forcing it to turn by striking it. No personal attack intended.

Since engine timing is almost always controlled by components attatched to the flywheel, it MUST be properly aligned to the crankshaft for proper operation. So if there is any indication that the flywheel can turn on the shaft, replace the key and use a soft brush to clear any debris from under and around the flywheel.

Old 05-11-06, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by mla2ofus
If you get it started, have a squirt bottle with gas in it to try to keep it running for a couple of min. to see what it sounds like. You may get lucky on this, if it sounds OK, then I think it's time to kit the carb and get a primer bulb.
will i did that it sounds ok smokie but it runs it does backfire because of lack of fuel cause of the way i got fuel to it so i will see how much to rebuild and see if it is worth it.

Old 05-14-06, 10:18 PM
compression test

well i did a compression test and it read 60 PSI and i was told it should read 90 PSI so that means the piston rings are bad so is this somthing i can do if so what kind of tools do i need?

Search this Thread