Starting Problems on 3.5hp B&S

Old 05-11-06, 02:44 AM
Starting Problems on 3.5hp B&S

Hi

Ive just been given a Hayter Hunter 41 mower with a B&S 3.5hp engine that starts and runs reasonably well.

However it looked very oily and a bit of a mess, so i decided to take off some of the unboltable parts to clean it up. Ive taken off the throttle mount, air filter, carb and petrol tank, exhaust.
Attatched to the throttle linkage was this spring that seems to move like a plastic fin in and out.

Anyway having cleaned it all up and put it back together, it doesnt seem to start like it did. It takes a lot of effort to pull the star cord, and from time to time it snatches back with such force it nearly rips your arm off. eventually it starts, but i think i havent connected something right.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 02:57 AM
If you have taken the flywheel off AND you didn't torque the flywheel nut (starter clutch) to spec. then the flywheel key likely has sheared. This determines the ignition timing and this is what it seems you have for trouble. By the way, the spring you referred to is the governor spring. This attaches, at one end, to the governor link and on the other end to the speed control bracket. The plastic fin is the governor blade and actuates by air force from the flywheel.

Old 05-11-06, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by puey61
If you have taken the flywheel off AND you didn't torque the flywheel nut (starter clutch) to spec. then the flywheel key likely has sheared. This determines the ignition timing and this is what it seems you have for trouble. By the way, the spring you referred to is the governor spring. This attaches, at one end, to the governor link and on the other end to the speed control bracket. The plastic fin is the governor blade and actuates by air force from the flywheel.
I didnt actually take the flywheel off. I only took off the starter coil piece, so as far as i know i have taken anything off with regards to timing, although it would seem what your saying sounds right. So is there anything else i can check to stop the starting problem i have.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-06, 12:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the blade is loose, or not on, it will cause this.