homelite xl chainsaw

Old 05-11-06, 08:56 AM
Unhappy homelite xl chainsaw

I have a Homelite XL chainsaw. I have changed the lines, the duckbil, and the check valve. The oil for the bar and chain continues to come out even when the saw is not running. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-06, 12:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
bad holder

the oil chamber could have a bad or missing gasket or it could be cracked my EX friend had a older chainsaw that leaked oil from the oil chamber because of a bad gasket

Originally Posted by jamieforeman
I have a Homelite XL chainsaw. I have changed the lines, the duckbil, and the check valve. The oil for the bar and chain continues to come out even when the saw is not running. Any suggestions?

Old 05-20-06, 07:57 AM
This saw does not have an oil pump. It sends oil to the bar by pressurizing the oil tank (the tank is solid, molded plastic and shouldn't leak, unless the oil cap gakset is bad) via a pressure line (rubber fuel line) running from a fitting on the crankcase to the oil tank. A duckbill valve allows air into the tank but none to escape (when you use oil you need to replace it with an equal amount of air to prevent "air-lock"). The reason the oil still pumps out is that the pressure in the tank doesn't go away when you shut it off. To stop this, simply open the oil cap and release the pressure after usage. Bear in mind that engine heat will also cause expansion of pressure in the tank. So, until the engine cools off fully, you may want to keep the cap loose. You likely will notice too, that depending on where you keep the saw stored can cause oil to ooze out. Temperature fluctuations will cause the expansion and contraction of tank pressure. If you ever notice a lack of oil to the bar and chain, the first item to check is the cap gasket.