Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Techumseh VLV55 Extremly High Compression

05-11-06, 06:15 PM   #1  
Techumseh VLV55 Extremly High Compression

I have a murray push Mower built in '95. Setting on top of this grey and red beauty is a Techumseh VLV55 engine. The problem: when I have no spark plug in it, as normal it turns over freely, when I put a plug in it, pull it over a couple of times, all seems normal. After 2-3 pulls the compression seems to increase to the point of just barely being able to pull it over. From what I was told, this mower set outside for a couple of months with no plug in it (Gift from a great friend) . Does this sound like it may be seizing up or could it be a valve issue or maybe a....... I don't know! If someone out there could steer me in the right direction on this, I would greatly appreciate it.(and could mow my lawn)

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-06, 12:13 AM   #2  
I don't think it's a compression issue. It sounds like a sheared flywheel key, or you are trying to start it with no blade on it. With no blade, the engine doesn't have the necessary flywheight needed. A sheared flywheel key will throw the timing off and spark too soon, causing it to nearly jerk the cord out of your hand.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-12-06, 12:17 AM   #3  
i had the same problem

Posted By: cheese I don't think it's a compression issue. It sounds like a sheared flywheel key, or you are trying to start it with no blade on it. With no blade, the engine doesn't have the necessary flywheight needed. A sheared flywheel key will throw the timing off and spark too soon, causing it to nearly jerk the cord out of your hand.
i had a sears craftsman lawnmower that had the same problem when you go to start it it jerked the cord out of my hand it cost me 113 bucks to fix cause the carb had to be rebuilt to i think the guy i stole it from(i got it out of the trash) installed the blade upside down and it caused the flywheel to mess up the timing

05-12-06, 04:12 AM   #4  
Thanks

Well Cheese, if that's the case, you're probably right, the blade has been removed. I'll try that first, if not the problem, I'll check the carb issue. Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll keep you posted!

05-12-06, 02:37 PM   #5  
Thanks!

well.....I feel rather foolish, I put the blade on and it started right up! No more excuses, gotta go mow! Thanks for the info both of you!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-06, 12:22 AM   #6  
Glad you got it!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread