Starter Rope Ripped Off (Yes a Ripped Rip Cord)

Old 05-11-06, 06:47 PM
Starter Rope Ripped Off (Yes a Ripped Rip Cord)

Gota a Friends Mower, a Craftsman 944.369450 with a 143.996006 engine on it, More Commonly known as a Tecumseh TVS120-66018C.

Rip Cord Ripped off at the engine side. How do i repair it?

I believe I can reuse the old one, but i'll have to check the length. When i tie a knot inside the starter, do I have to wind the spring then tie the knot, or tie the knot first then wind the spring (the second one doesn't make much sense to me)

I pretty much can do just about anything to a small engine, cause i've rebuilt 7 and they all work. A ripped rip cord baffles me. I've never been able to get one right.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
tightin the spring first

tightin the spring untill it can't be tightin no more than untightin it 1 TURN than use a C-CLAMP to hold it tight untill you can put the rope through it than remove the clamp and your all set

Originally Posted by James Sanders
Gota a Friends Mower, a Craftsman 944.369450 with a 143.996006 engine on it, More Commonly known as a Tecumseh TVS120-66018C.

Rip Cord Ripped off at the engine side. How do i repair it?

I believe I can reuse the old one, but i'll have to check the length. When i tie a knot inside the starter, do I have to wind the spring then tie the knot, or tie the knot first then wind the spring (the second one doesn't make much sense to me)

I pretty much can do just about anything to a small engine, cause i've rebuilt 7 and they all work. A ripped rip cord baffles me. I've never been able to get one right.

Old 05-13-06, 04:22 AM
I disagree, Lex. All that is needed is enough tension to fully retract the cord. Usually 3 to 4, possibly 5 turns. If you do as you say, the spring could possibly break due to excess tension when rope is fully extended.
Mike

Old 06-13-06, 08:53 AM
well i fixed it, it was a tecumseh styled starter with plastic retainer

removed the retainer so i could get the rest of the old cord out, hooked up the spring pressed the retainer in, wound up the starter (i didn't have to use a c-clamp, my hands are pretty strong) wound it off a couple of turns, lined up the hole, tied the string in, and it works great!

Thanks for your help this time.