Mower wont shut down!!!

Old 05-12-06, 12:56 PM
Mower wont shut down!!!

I have a 3.5 hp Briggs on a snapper pretty simple. The throttle lever controls the choke and shut down. Everything works well except it's wont shut down. I know that there are 2 wires coming from the fly wheel one goes to the throttle linkage and the other broke. I think this needs to be wired to the magneto or does it just need to be grounded? the only way to shut down now is pull the spark plug. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-06, 02:54 PM
Is this a recent development? Seems a throttle control adjustment should take care of this. Or, perhaps the control has so much slop/wear that would warrant a new control be installed. As for there being two wires, I don't know why there are two when only one is needed and it should go to the speed control bracket under a spring type kill terminal. Post back with the engine ID numbers...model, type and code.

Old 05-12-06, 03:24 PM
The engine model is 92908-1606-01. I just found the manual on-line. And yes there is one connected to the speed control like you said, I don't know what the other one does or goes to or it may be and old cable that someone didn't take out. There is alot of slop in the control let me try to tighten it up. thanks for a fast reply. Any more info would be great.

Old 05-12-06, 06:35 PM
I have 2 3.5hp briggs engines and if yours are the same there is 2 wires from the ignition coil. One goes to spark plug and the other, the small one goes to throttle linkage. When you idle it down the wire gets grounded and stops the spark.

Old 05-12-06, 09:28 PM
Sounds to me that someone else had ignition trouble at some time,and for some reason put a coil on it that was reged for points and had to put a magnotron module on it.And just forgot to cut one of the wires.

Old 05-13-06, 12:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On many snappers, there is a safety switch at the discharge chute that keeps the engine from running if the guard or bagger chute is not attatched to the deck. This is probably where the other wire came from. It isn't the reason it won't shut off though. Sounds like your throttle may need adjusting.

Old 05-13-06, 06:08 AM
This mower is a friend's fathers and I spoke with him last night he said that he had it fixed a couple of years ago because it would not start. So I think It's like repair guy said they put a different coil in that doesn't need points. The guys father said when he got it back it wouldn't shut off properly after. So tonight I'll fix that wire, also need to check for the safety like cheese said, I never would of look for that. Thanks alot guys.