2 broken blade adapters,backfire thru carb

Old 05-12-06, 05:25 PM
Angry 2 broken blade adapters,backfire thru carb

Hi all, I was just surfing and came upon this great site with some great answers to many questions. Anyway I have a 6 year old Yard Works push mower w/ a Tecumseh engine(LEVI20-361088) I have changed oil regularly and done regular maintanance. I tried to start it today and it ran for 5 seconds making a lot of metal on metal noise then shot down. Re-tried to start and mower backfires thru carb, also when I pull cord it sometimes re-coils violently. Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you in advance, Flametamer

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-06, 05:37 PM
2 broken blade adapters,backfire thru carb
If the blade adapters and/or blades contacted anything hard, you probably need to replace them and the flywheel key also. A broken key will make it pop and backfire.

Old 05-12-06, 05:45 PM
Thanx jlopower the adapters just break w/ the engine running on the driveway now it wont even run.

Old 05-13-06, 04:30 AM
The only things I can think of that would break blade adapters while the mower is just running on the driveway are:

[1] The crankshaft is bent allowing the blade tips to contact the mower housing creating enough torque to break the adapter. Look for fresh blade impact marks under the deck. If you find them, you should remove the broken adapter. Now remove the spark plug from the engine and slowly pull the engine over with the recoil. If you can see any run-out [wiggle] at the end of the crankshaft where the blade adapter was mounted, you will probably need to go mower shopping.

[2] You are using the wrong adapters and when you bolt them on, they are cracking. But that would not explain why the original adapter broke.

I really suspect choice number 1. Question the family and find out what they hit with the mower. IF the crank is not bent, you may be able to save the machine.

Old 05-14-06, 04:37 PM
OK, JLOPOWER checked output shaft this A.M. the slot where the bade adapter slides on is iffy at best, so I went mower shopping. Service man wants $70.00 hr. (CAD.) just to have a lookie. Thanks for your advice and help.