starter problems on tecumseh

Old 05-10-06, 07:30 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
starter problems on tecumseh

I have inherited an old ariens snowblower (model 922024) with a 5hp tecumseh. The electric starter will engage, but will not disengage after spinning the motor over. We have replaced the spring. If you try and start it again with the starter still engaged it will only usually turn it over once or twice very slowly. The gear teeth and flywheel look in great shape.

Old 05-11-06, 12:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Is the starter bushing in the drive end worn? Does the gear move freely manually?

Old 05-11-06, 03:54 AM
P
The gear does move freely by hand and when I have it plug in and off the motor. It just does this when it is on the motor. I will check the bushing and see if it is worn. any help is appriciated.

Last edited by pushrod13; 05-11-06 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-11-06, 06:38 PM
P
the bushing is in good shape. It is not worn at all.

Old 05-12-06, 12:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the starter gear and the flywheel both look like they should, and the starter drive is clean and working freely, there's not much more to it. Could the starter be out of alignment somehow with the rest of the engine (maybe missing a bolt or two, or bent)? Does the starter drive gear pop out and back in on it's own when testing off the engine?

It kind of sounds like the starter may be bent or aligned in such a way that the gear is meshing too tightly with the flywheel. Try shimming it away from the block just a tad with some thin washers. Start with a washer on two of the bolts that are on the same side of the starter. Use thin ones.

Old 05-12-06, 02:56 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm going to say you have a weak starter. I'd take it to a dealer and have them bench test it for their opinion. If you need one, expect to pay around $140.

Old 05-12-06, 12:36 PM
P
I tried shimming the starter and it did the same thing. I will try and have the starter bench tested next week hopefully. I will let you know what happens with it and if a new starter works if I need one. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-13-06, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, now I see your original post differently. I assumed that your engine was starting, but not kicking the starter gear back in? Now, after Puey's suggestion, I'm thinking you never get the engine started? Because the starter is not turning it over fast enough? If that's the case, I agree...weak starter.

Lol, here I was thinking your engine was spinning that poor starter at 3600 rpm because the gear wouldn't disengage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: