New term on schematic

Old 05-13-06, 12:47 PM
New term on schematic

I was doing some electrical trouble shooting with an owner's manual schematic on a Craftsman 917.271071 lawn tractor with a Kohler CV16S 16 Hp engine. when I came across a term on the schematic which I'm totally unfamillar with. At the bottom of the drawing was an item called a "stator brake". It has two leads going to a set of normally closed contacts on a relay. Does anyone know what this device is and how it operates?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-06, 11:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are they calling the relay a stator brake, or the circuit, or some other component? Craftsmans with kohlers use a relay to break the contact between the charging stator and the battery when you turn the key off. I am guessing this is the circuti you are looking at.

Old 05-14-06, 05:29 AM
Cheese,
The "stator brake" is just a rectangular box at the lower part of the schematic...with two wires going up to a set of normally closed contacts on one of the three "presense relays".

Old 05-14-06, 10:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of anything it could be indicating. Are you looking at this diagram online? If so, I'd like to look at it if you want to post the address.

What's so puzzling is that brake is spelled the way it is. There are no moving parts that make up the stator, so how/why would it need a "brake". The only thing I can think of is a "break" in the connection.

Old 05-23-06, 07:25 PM
Cheese,
The schematic I was looking at was in the Sears owner manual. However, I got two good answers off other forums:

(1) - A stator brake helps slow the engine down when the key is turned off. Kohler has used these for several years. They work by sending electricity to a set of windings in the charging stator under the flywheel which slows the motor. This is an electric motor in reverse- a dynamic brake. This stator brake serves a purpose- the engine stops in fewer revolutions and combined with a carburetor mounted anti-afterfire solenoid, decreases the incidence of afterfire. Many Kohler motors have stator brakes but few people- even technicians- are aware they are there.

(2) - Go to the web site below and scrool down to the pdf document "Onsite service info, Tractor, Tiller, FPH 163578 1998 2002-04". Open it up and go to page 61...Operator presence system. This document should give you all information needed. The file is pretty large so it will take a while to download.

http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co...op_manuals.htm

It seems to never fail, the more you learn the more there is to learn.

Old 05-23-06, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Quote: "It seems to never fail, the more you learn the more there is to learn."

You are so very right. Just when I thought I knew every tiny detail about that engine, I find out about this. I've never heard of it, and can't see how it would make enough difference to actually warrant putting it in practice. Maybe it does. There is definitely resistance to be had by doing this, but I sure wouldn't have thought it would be enough to slow the engine significantly.

Electric cars use this principle for brakes. Not necessarily the sole braking system though. But on cars, the electric motors turn into generators to charge the batteries when the brakes are used.