Hot Exhaust

Old 05-13-06, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Exhaust

I have a craftsman 3.8hp techumse 21" mower.
I got this from my grandma, it wasnt running right then had no compression. I took it apart and seen the little plastic oil pump was cracked, I super glued it up and it fixed the problem. This was years ago, I didnt know much about small engines then and wasnt even sure what that plastic thing was or I would have replaced it. Anyways when I opened up the engine everything fell apart and the cam shaft did also. I didnt see any marks and the lobes would hit the crank so I kept skipping teeth till I found where it wouldnt hit anything. I put the beast together and it ran good. I dont use this alot but anyways it was running for about 2 min and I put my hand by the exhaust and it was very hot. I had a glove in my pocket and held it over the exahust for about 2 sec. and it burned a hole right through.

Thats the story about this thing, it runs good but I dont think the exhaust should be that hot, is the exhaust valve opening to soon? And will this damage the engine?

I appreciate the help

Old 05-14-06, 12:32 AM
Yes it's out of time,and the valve getting that hot,I've seen them scratch.And also prolonged use will break the oil down and really do some damage.

Old 05-14-06, 07:13 AM
Well I guess I have to tear this one apart again. I should probably put a new oil pump in it too. Watch for a new post from me if I cant find the timing marks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: