Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil level

MD

05-14-06, 06:16 AM   #1  
oil level

I changed the oil in my Cub Cadet riding mower yesterday. It has a Kohler command 26 hp motor, with an oil capacity of 67 oz. I let the oil drain for a good while and chaned the filter. I then proceeded to fill the engine with exactly 67 oz of oil, wich was a little more than 2 qts. I let it sit a while and then tried to read the level on the dip stick, but it was hard to read because the oil was too clear and had not settled to the bottom. So I proceeded to cut my grass, which takes about 2 hours. When I was done I let the engine cool and checked the oil level. This time I was able to see that it was well above the full line. My question is what went wrong and what damage has been done? Will the effects of over filling be immediately visible? Do I need a new engine after only 20 hrs? Please help.
Ray

Sponsored Links

AL

05-14-06, 07:45 AM   #2  
A little too much isn't going to hurt anything (1/16 or so,on the stick).Read your owners manual again thow,to make sure.The reason I say that is on some engines you just drop the dip stick to the top of the tube to check the oil,and on some you tighten the dipstick.

But a lot too full isn't good.It will cause too much presure in the crankcase,blowing the oil seals.Or leak from the gasket,Blow out from the PVC. valve on the breather,soaking the carb. and air filter with oil.Be too much for the rings to handle and cause blow-by fouling spark plug after spark plug.Even getting into the muffler and smoking like a mosquito foger.Too much motor oil WILL make a engine start useing oil.

05-14-06, 11:33 AM   #3  
When I change the oil in my Briggs, I let it drain until it stops dripping. Then I purposely add 4 ounces less than it calls for, which would leave it halfway between the add and full marks on the dipstick. Then I run it for a few minutes, wait an hour and check it again...adding as needed to bring it up to full. That works well for me. Haven't overfilled it yet.

AZ

MD

05-14-06, 04:38 PM   #4  
Thanks for the replies and tips. I will definitely start with less next time and add as needed. I hope it was not an expensive lesson, no signs of damage yet. Although after 20 hours of use I was already considering getting a zero turn to speed up the chore. Thanks again.
Ray

05-17-06, 06:40 PM   #5  
I am not familiar with your engine, but most Kohlers I have seen have an oil filter. Does that motor have a filter? If you didn't change the filter that could be why you ended up with too much oil.

MD

05-18-06, 05:10 PM   #6  
overfill update

Thanks Hetterman, I did replace the filter when I changed the oil, but I think the crankcase was overfilled. I have been losing sleep over this for a week now because this mower is less than a year old. Anyway, I did notice a small amount of oil on the air filter base and the rubber gasket on the fiter element so I cleaned everything up to see if more oil would re-appear. I cut my grass tonight and ran the mower for about two hours. I removed the air filter and noticed a small bit of oil on the filter element where it makes contact with the filter base . I also noticed about two drops in the bottom of the fuel spit back cup and some that stared to drip from th bottom of the cup to filter base. The oil level in the crankcase had not change, or at least not noticable to me. There is no smoke coming from the engine when running and no other signs of leaks, the tractor does seem to be going slower (could be my imagination), but the engine sounds like it is running strong. Could this oil be what was left in the breather separator and the breather hose as a result of overfilling the crankcase, or is it tell tale signs of a blown heaad gasket? The engine is a Kohler Command 26, model CV7300040, twin cylinder OHV, on a Cub Cadet LT1050. I did purchase the extended service warranty with p/u and delivery from Lowes, do you think I could pull this off as "I don't know what happened?" What would a rough estimate be to replace the head gaskets (I'm in Maryland if it makes a difference)? Thanks again for taking the time to help.
Ray

05-19-06, 08:34 AM   #7  
Given what you describe it seems too early to be worrying about a head gasket problem. If it's running well and exhibits no other difficulties I'd continue to run it...just keep a close eye on it. How much longer is your warranty? If you get to 30 days left and are still concerned, then have them check it just to put your mind at ease. That's what warranties are for. Find out if an extended warranty is available for purchase, if you're still concerned.

AZ

Search this Thread