Backfire

Old 05-14-06, 08:53 AM
Question Backfire

Hello there.

I have an MTD riding lawnmower 42" cut 16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton. The mower runs fine except that it consistantly backfires upon shutting down. I have replaced plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and oil (standard maintence). Additionally, when you turn the key it pauses before starting, like trying to force myself out of the bed too early in the morning. Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-06, 11:47 AM
Let the engine idle for half a minute before turning the key off. Shutting it off at full throttle will often cause a backfire. As for pausing when starting...how old is the battery? You're lucky to get 5 years out of most lawnmower batteries nowadays, often less. Mine did the same before I replaced my battery. Check that all the connections are clean and tight. Make sure no one is leaving the key on.Simple stuff, I know. If more than 3 years old, consider replacing it. I also keep a 1 amp trickle charger around for just such things. Inexpensive and does the job, just takes longer.

AZ

Old 05-14-06, 10:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pause in starting sounds like it could also be indicating the need for a valve adjustment. This should be performed as part of yearly maintainence.

Old 05-15-06, 04:03 PM
You didn't indicate the year of the machine, but, this may be a model with a fuel shut-off solenoid and the solenoid may be defective, whereas it is stuck in the disengaged position and not doing its intended job. You will know if you have this solenoid if you see a single wire in the vicinity of the carburetor. If you are unsure, post back with chassis' as well as engine's ID numbers (all of them) and we'll check for you. If, this engine does not have one, do as AZ indicated...Idle down before shutting down. An older, thinning muffler will be more apt to bang than a newer one, by the way.