Craftsman mower keeps dieing?

Old 05-15-06, 12:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman mower keeps dieing?

Its a 1998 craftsman 6 HP 2.4 Bu dustbin 3 mulch bag special edition model code 944-368450.

We took it home and it was fine. Ran it for about 1o minutes and went to do the backyard, then wouldnt start. We decided to buy some gas and make it 92 the good stuff. At home it started okay and then it died. Got it going again and it ran okay till it was turned off and then it wouldnt keep going again. Tried starting it repeatedly between givig it some gas. We were told the spark plug was new and theres oil in there and so other than pulling out any more of my hair, is there something that can be done?

Old 05-15-06, 01:58 PM
A
So...it is an eight year old mower. It wouldn't hurt to replace the plug with a new one...they're cheap enough even if you were told it's new. At least pull it, make sure it's clean and check the gap. What condition is the spark plug wire in? Not cut or worn in any way? It sounds like the spark is breaking down after the engine warms up. Whatever it is, looks like you uncovered the reason why the previous owner wanted to be rid of it.

AZ

Old 05-15-06, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
We need better information first of all. The model number you posted does not show up as a valid number, recheck this please. Is this a used machine recently purchased by you? Did you take it in for service just recently? If so, to a reputable service center? Does it stall, at any point, while you're running it? Or, will it just not re-start after hot? If so, how long must you wait, specifically, before it will re-start? What make engine? What, exactly, are the engine ID numbers? Why do you need to "give it some gas" and how, exactly, are you doing this? Because it is low on gas, in the tank? What are your starting procedures, exactly, when you attempt to re-start the engine and how much time has passed when you do attempt a re-start? Lots of questions, I know, but, answer them all please.

Old 05-15-06, 05:19 PM
R
The numbers are right. Im from canada would that make a difference? It has EZ optional?

Things werent a problem when I got it. It wasnt until we put in the good gas I believe. Mind you we did tip it up and sideways to check the blade. Its been sitting in the sun since then and have repeatedly tried to start it every couple hours.

The plug looks like new and inside the plug wire as well. No cuts or anything. The filter DEFINATELY needs changing. It looks like it is falling apart.

What I mean by giving it gas is there is the push button on the side. I have the lever on the handle back I push the button 3-6 times. and reef on the chord. Occasionally Ill get a little start for 2 seconds and then it dies again. And I repeat all over again.
It just says Eager 1 one pull start on the top of the mower.

Old 05-15-06, 07:25 PM
Hi Rena,you mentioned in your last reply that "The filter DEFINATELY needs changing. It looks like it is falling apart"
An inturtal combustion engine doesn't run on just gas,it's a vapor that your carb.creates from the gas and the incoming air.So if your air filter is cloged up,your mower's carb. can't get the air it needs to do this.Try trying to crank it without an air filter,see if that does any good.Then replace it with a new one,there only around $6.00.

Old 05-16-06, 03:01 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have a fuel starvation issue related to the carburetor whereas a good cleaning will be in order. Depending on the severity of the trash and/or varnish in the carburetor, you may need to soak it in a quality bath type cleaner (as opposed to a good spray type cleaner).

Old 05-16-06, 04:30 PM
R
This question sounds stupid but

I dont know HOW to clean the carburator. Can somenoe please tell me how to do this? (P.S. I got it running (miracle) but it kept making popping noises?

Thank you kindly.

Old 05-16-06, 07:59 PM
Just take it off the mower.Take the bowl off the bottom.There's a tiny hole between the threads of this nut that has to be cleaned (just run a wire through it.)Then take out the pin that holds the float on.Under the float is where the inlet needle and seat is.Pull these out.(you can use a crochet needle for the seat.)Take any ajustment screw off the outside of the carb.And soak the carb.in carb./choke cleaner.
You can buy this at any auto parts store,or you can use white vinegar.Soak 20-30 minutes.Meanwhile make sure you can blow through the primmr hole.the number for a new needle/seat is 631021.And get a new intake gesket too.

Make sure to get the neddle seat pushed all the way down the hole it goes in with markings down.

hope that helps

Reply back on progress or problems.

Last edited by repair_guy; 05-16-06 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 03:26 AM
Repair-guy forgot to mention that the adjustment needles need to be returned to their correct positions after the rebuild. You also must take note where the govenor rod connection are.

Don't be afraid to attempt a carb rebuild, but if it is your first try at mower repair, you might want to enlist the help of a friend or co-worker to help make sure everything goes back as it should. If you can find someone who had done a carb rebuild, they can teach you the techniques and assembly tricks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: