Oil in Gas Tank!

Old 05-14-06, 06:50 PM
Oil in Gas Tank!

Ok, really dumb move tonight. I just bought a brand new Craftsman gas edger (Briggs Stratton). Well, in the excitment of getting it ready I poured some new oil into the gas tank!! I feel so embarrased to admit thi -- I had just ripped off the tag they left on nit saying to fill it with iol before using the first time. Well, they put the tag on the gas tank!!

I only got a small amount in there, and immediately turned it over and drained the oil. but i know there's still a good amount cacked in the tank.

what do I do??!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-06, 10:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have a bowl type carburetor, and the tank is higher than the carb, then you'll need to remove the fuel line and filter and blow them out, and remove the carb bowl and dump the oil out of it. Then, fill it with gas and run it. The residual oil shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 05-14-06, 10:35 PM
You've got all of it out except maybe 1/2 ounce give or take,right??? That being the case put a little clean gas in it.Swish it around a littie,drain it one more time.Then fill the tank (WITH GAS) and start useing it.

Wont hurt anything.

Old 05-14-06, 10:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What about the oil that ran down into the carburetor?

Old 05-15-06, 03:32 AM
I agree with repair-guy. A little motor oil in the first tank might even be beneficial, slowing the break-in action a little bit. Flush and run.

Old 05-15-06, 03:25 PM
What Cheese is saying is that if this is a bowl type carburetor (as opposed to a diaphragm type) then pure oil surely will have gotten to the carburetor. This engine will not start on pure oil and, furthermore, if bheron pulls the engine over with the rewind starter, he will surely move this oil from the carburetor to the combustion chamber. bheron, post back with the engine ID numbers, if you don't know which type carb you have.

Old 05-15-06, 07:37 PM
Just trying to help guys.I know what your saying,but I've misstakelying put 2 cycle gas in my mower,didn't hurt it.Only made it smoke a little.bheron would have less oil than I did,with a fresh tank of gas.

Old 05-16-06, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil won't combust by itself (without being mixed with gas) in a gasoline engine (it will in a diesel). If the carb is full of oil, it won't start until you drain it. It probably won't even draw through the main jet into the cylinder.