Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawnboy mower will not start

05-16-06, 08:02 AM   #1  
Lawnboy mower will not start

I have a Lawnboy Silver Pro, 6.5 HP Model 10324 serial number 8900265, which cannot get started.
The exhaust is clear.
The sparkplug is new.
Have installed new carb repair kit.
Attempted to clear ports and orifices.
It is not getting fuel. Looks like the only adjustment is the float height, and not sure how to set the proper height, if that is a option.

Sponsored Links

NY

05-16-06, 11:36 AM   #2  
You stated you "attempted" to clear the "port". Did you actually clear it? Was it the exhaust port? While you were there, did you visually inspect the condition of the piston and cylinder? If so, what's your assessment of them? If everything you've done was done well and you still have a fuel starvation problem, I'd say you have a scored piston and cylinder whereas you will have insufficient vacuum to draw in the fuel mixture.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-16-06, 01:28 PM   #3  
compression test

hes right do a compression test remove the sparkplug and install the tester some you will have to hold in the sparkplug hole others you just screw in. crank the engine a few times and see what reading you get you want at LEAST 90 PSI if its below that toss it a engine will run on low compression just not very good

Posted By: puey61 You stated you "attempted" to clear the "port". Did you actually clear it? Was it the exhaust port? While you were there, did you visually inspect the condition of the piston and cylinder? If so, what's your assessment of them? If everything you've done was done well and you still have a fuel starvation problem, I'd say you have a scored piston and cylinder whereas you will have insufficient vacuum to draw in the fuel mixture.

05-24-06, 07:31 AM   #4  
Finally had a opportunity to check the compression on the Lawnboy. It is 90 psig with a hand held gauge. May be more, but at least 90 psig. Is that enough?
My though is that the float is improperly adjuster? It runs for a few rpm's with a shot of WD40 in the cylinder? It's just not geeting fuel? Help.

05-25-06, 01:12 PM   #5  
Posted By: lexmarks567 hes right do a compression test remove the sparkplug and install the tester some you will have to hold in the sparkplug hole others you just screw in. crank the engine a few times and see what reading you get you want at LEAST 90 PSI if its below that toss it a engine will run on low compression just not very good

I finally ran a compression test. It is 90 psig. Could the float height be the problem? Not sure what the measurement should be?
Gene

MI

05-25-06, 07:41 PM   #6  
I had this problem on a 2 cycle lawn boy and there was gunk blocking the ports in the carb. Some carb cleaner sprayed through fixed that. Im not familiar with that engine but I had a 12.5hp briggs and I took the float bowl off and moved float by had to make sure it was letting fuel in and stoping it. If you have the float down and no gas is running out then something is blocked.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-25-06, 11:36 PM   #7  
90 PSI is good thats perfect so that means you may have a bad carb or a very dirty and jamed up one as for the float those are not adjustible they are preset by the factory.

Posted By: Gene1025 I finally ran a compression test. It is 90 psig. Could the float height be the problem? Not sure what the measurement should be?
Gene

Search this Thread