Craftsman trackor stalling

Old 05-17-06, 11:19 AM
Craftsman trackor stalling

I have a 1996 Craftsman, Model #917.256611 lawn tractor with Kohler Command CV15S engine, 15.5 HP OHV. Last time out, it was cutting just fine, but then quickly lost power and stalled out after about 10 minutes. It would restart in choke, but once the throttle was pulled back out of choke to mowing position, it would immediately die out again. Gas was very low, so I filled the tank with fresh gas.

Now, I can start it fine in choke, but pulling the throttle out of choke always results in immediately stalling. If I leave it in choke, it will run for a few minutes and then stall out. I can then restart, but it will stall more quickly.

Based on threads I read here, I tried loosening the gas cap and checking that fuel was getting past the fuel filter (which it was) with no improvement. Seems fuel related, but I'm not sure. Could it be fuel filter or carburetor? I was considering the coil (again based on threads I read here) but that didn't seem consistent with the engine stalling everytime I leave the choke position. It also has the optional fuel shut-off solenoid installed in the carburator, not sure if that's relevant.

Any advice on what to look for next?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like you need to drop the carburetor bowl and check fuel flow into the carb through the fuel inlet. If it is good, then you need to clean the carb.