Mower Problem

Old 05-17-06, 06:20 PM
Mower Problem

I have a problem with my 9 year old push mower. It doesn't have a choke - just the primer bulb. This year it's having a problem staying running. I can get it started, but it eventually wants to quit, like it's not getting any gas. If I push the primer bulb in again, it will keep running.

I've never done much maintenance to it, and I imagine it's catching up to me now. I took the air filter off (dry), and it was really dirty, but cleaning that didn't help. I imagine the carb might be dirty? Can I just buy some carb cleaner and spray it in there? I don't really have time to take it all apart.

Probably doesn't help that the fuel I'm using is from last year either?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 06:30 PM
I know gas prices are high, but you are gonna need to change your fuel. Gas deteriorates over time and just doesn't have the "kick" it once had. That's not even considering the gum and gunk it will form into. When that happens, a good thorough carb cleaning is what you will need.

Old 05-17-06, 07:01 PM
Yea, I know I need clean fuel. Let's just call it laziness...

Actually, I got the carb and float off (it was easier than I thought). Is there any specific way to clean it? Or do I just spray everywhere I can find with carb cleaner?

Also, this is B&S Quantum engine. When I took off the air filter plate there was a thin gasket between the plate and the carb that's pretty much shot (it fell apart when taking the plate off). Is this something I need to worry about replacing ?

Old 05-17-06, 09:12 PM
Yes,replace that gasket.That's the heart of your primming system.Without a good seal here your mower will suck air and not fuel.And it's best,I think to soak a carb.clean.You can get a 3/4 gal.can of carb cleaning asid from any auto parts store.
Use gloves and eye pretaction,A take all rubber and plastic parts out before soaking..
And use clean fuel.Todays fuel doen't last but 30 days or so.
So don't buy any more than you can use in a month,in your mower.

Old 05-17-06, 11:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yeah its the carb

Originally Posted by swallman
I I can get it started, but it eventually wants to quit, like it's not getting any gas. If I push the primer bulb in again, it will keep running.
Its the carb i had a snowblower that did this it would start run for awhile than die i hit the primer it stays it cost me 74 to have it rebuilt (also cause it needed a cover) if you can find a carb kit for your engine and you know how rebuild it the parts are cheap but they kill you in labor.

Old 05-18-06, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by repair_guy
Yes,replace that gasket.That's the heart of your primming system.Without a good seal here your mower will suck air and not fuel.And it's best,I think to soak a carb.clean.You can get a 3/4 gal.can of carb cleaning asid from any auto parts store.
Use gloves and eye pretaction,A take all rubber and plastic parts out before soaking..
And use clean fuel.Todays fuel doen't last but 30 days or so.
So don't buy any more than you can use in a month,in your mower.
Do I need to completely disassemble the carb, or can I soak it as one piece ?

Thanks

Old 05-18-06, 06:54 AM
completely disassemble the carb.and take out all rubber and plastic parts.Carbureator cleaner is an acid.It wont hurt metal parts,but avoid gitting any on yourself.Wear gloves and face/eye protection.And don't forget the holes in the bowl nut.

Search this Thread