briggs vanguard twin #385777 in husqy

Old 07-17-09, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check the other things mentioned here? I've never seen a fuel pump over-pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-09, 07:05 AM
Have you rechecked the valve lash?

Old 08-20-09, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by maitaz View Post
I'm happy to report that I was able to adjust the valves and it is running like new! Thanks in part to this forum, there is a lot of good info here.
I set the gap to a tight 0.05 (B&S specs call for 0.04-0.06) It is easy once you get the hang of it, the piston does need to be in exacly the right position. I'm getting 170 pressure on both sides now, and there is no gas dribbling out of the carb!

Beer 4U2

Thanks all!
So you don't deviate between the intake and exhaust? I've always been told it wasn't that necessary, but since I done pulled the cover off...I just figure do it dead on for each.

Old 08-20-09, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by glenny289 View Post
Just put on a NEW carburetor and it still floods, just like all of these other posts I have read. There is a nozzle on the top and one on the side with a plug on it. The top one is open. What is this for? Does any sort of vacuum line go to this, or is it for fuel overflow? I have rebuilt thousands of carbs over my years in this business, but have never come across this kind of problem. There's no logical reason for this. Could the fuel pump somehow go bad and INCREASE the pressure to the point of overriding the float?

I am familiar with this problem....let me guess two barrel Vanguard or similar with twin heads? Here's the fix....leave the top open and remove the plug from the bottom one...run an overflow line (somewhere away from the exhaust).....then buy a slightly oversized air filter The nut would just barely grab threads after I pressed it hard enough....but the cover will still fit back on. These engines were designed faulty, and do not allow enough air into the carb to preform like they should.....especially under a load.

Old 08-20-09, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by glenny289 View Post
Just put on a NEW carburetor and it still floods, just like all of these other posts I have read. There is a nozzle on the top and one on the side with a plug on it. The top one is open. What is this for? Does any sort of vacuum line go to this, or is it for fuel overflow? I have rebuilt thousands of carbs over my years in this business, but have never come across this kind of problem. There's no logical reason for this. Could the fuel pump somehow go bad and INCREASE the pressure to the point of overriding the float?
Keep the top one open, so it can vent. Plugging the bottom one is what causes most of the trouble. Fuel will actually well up in the bowl with this crazy tube clogged....so open it, but run a line away from the exhaust in case fuel spills out.

Old 06-14-11, 06:42 AM
I'm getting a dead link on the second one "how are the valves properly serviced" . Would you please point me to how to figure out where TDC on the compression stroke is. The manual didn't give instructions for that?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-14, 10:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmm... I am in the process of diagnosing the same exact problem as everyone else here with the EXACT model, type AND even code. Apparently this is a problem inherent with this particular engine and not other vanguards. I have not found the problem yet, but if I get it figured out, I will post the results. I came up with this discussion during a google search. I think I may try the smaller jets for higher altitude. It runs perfectly other than the rich stumbling at full throttle. New air filter fixes it for a while, then back to the problem again.