Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing the engine in older ariens snowblower

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-18-06, 12:30 PM   #1  
Replacing the engine in older ariens snowblower

OK this is a differnt question than the one about the carb so heres goes I want to repalce the engine in my Airens 2-stage snowblower the old engine is not running good any more and i was told it was cheaper to get a new engine.......alright let me clue you in on somthing the engine i have is rare it has a AUX PTO Shaft witch drives the wheels the main shaft spins counter clockwise but the aux pto shaft spins clockwise the old engine shaft is 2 1/2 inch long and 3/4 dia with a 1 to 1 1/2 size pully but the only engines i can find have ONLY ONE SHAFT i need one with to shafts and i need one under 100 does anyone know what websit i can go to to find a cheap engine if i can only get one with one pully can i add another pully behind the main one and than twist the belt so it turns clockwise so both belts (the one that drives the auger and the one that drives the wheels) would this work heres a picture of the pully system

http://www.coolimagehosting.com/uploads/25ef4cbe20.jpg

Last edited by lexmarks567; 05-19-06 at 03:12 AM. Reason: put in wrong engine direction

Sponsored Links

05-18-06, 05:19 PM   #2  
lexmarks,
That "aux. pto shaft" is nothing more than an extended camshaft. Not to worry.

I looked in the old Ariens service manual and noticed that in 1979 Ariens switched to an HSSK50 engine on your type of machine. The part number of the Ariens frame stayed the same, which suggests that the bolt patterns of both engines are the same. If this is the case it should be easy to find another engine. I'll get some measurements over the weekend and post them, so you can compare. Many manufacturers make (made) snow blowers using the HSSK 50, and you often see them for sale cheap because they're rusted out. By the way, where are you located.

Tom

05-18-06, 05:38 PM   #3  
Im Located im warren michigan i hope i can find an engine other wise i need to pay at least $144 to have the engine refresh thats replaceing the piston rings and the head gasket thats not counting if it needs a valve job or the points replaced than shipping both ways( the im working with in located in bonner springs kansas he owns a small engine repair shop so he knows what hes doing

Posted By: firepaw lexmarks,
That "aux. pto shaft" is nothing more than an extended camshaft. Not to worry.

I looked in the old Ariens service manual and noticed that in 1979 Ariens switched to an HSSK50 engine on your type of machine. The part number of the Ariens frame stayed the same, which suggests that the bolt patterns of both engines are the same. If this is the case it should be easy to find another engine. I'll get some measurements over the weekend and post them, so you can compare. Many manufacturers make (made) snow blowers using the HSSK 50, and you often see them for sale cheap because they're rusted out. By the way, where are you located.

Tom

05-18-06, 06:19 PM   #4  
Well, you've got some time before it snows again. I'll keep an eye open on this end (W. Mass.). Now is when the folks around here are clearing out their gagages, sheds, etc. $144 seems a little much to put into the little engine, in my mind at least.

T

05-18-06, 06:32 PM   #5  
yeah and he said " i can't guarentee that a refresh is all it needs" i have 1 engine in mind its 119 + 30.85 shipping but they don't tell me what shaft size it is its a 5.5HP snowking by tecomseh heres a link to the engine.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...m=on&ppinc=big

the engine i need must spin counterclockwise with a 3/4 dia shaft and 2 1/2 inchs long i can take the 2 pullys off the old engine and put them on the one shaft i will than twist the wheel drive belt so it will turn clockwise when the engine spins counterclockwise than install the main pully and auger belt and everything will work as it should now were do i find info on my engine the areins website does not have this engine listed.if i can find one used somewere for cheap do you know any websites that offer used snowblower engines (besides ebay) .

Posted By: firepaw Well, you've got some time before it snows again. I'll keep an eye open on this end (W. Mass.). Now is when the folks around here are clearing out their gagages, sheds, etc. $144 seems a little much to put into the little engine, in my mind at least.

T

Search this Thread