Craftsman stalling when engaging

Old 05-18-06, 12:45 PM
Unhappy Craftsman stalling when engaging

Craftsman 26hp garden tractor fires up and runs fne. When engaging gear or blades, engine dies. I have no idea why. I've read forums but can't seem to find a similar thread.

Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-06, 03:03 AM
Most likely a faulty seat safety switch is to blame.

Old 05-19-06, 09:40 AM
Switch seems OK. Why would it work when disengaged and stop when putting in gear?

Old 05-19-06, 11:10 AM
Puey is correct. You likely have a malfunctioning safety interlock system. It is designed to keep your toes attached to the end of your feet. If you shift your weight off the seat while the blades are engaged, the switch kills the mower. A defective switch in the seat will act this way when a second switch attached to the blade engagement handle is moved. There is also a third switch on many newer mowers that will kill the mower if you put it in reverse while the mower is engaged.

Old 05-19-06, 01:13 PM
I bypassed the switch and still got the same results: runs like a lion with the brake down, but slowly dies when I start to release it (neutral and gears). Is there a brake switch too?

I really appreciate your help, guys!

Old 05-20-06, 09:37 AM
Many manufacturers are installing safety mechanisms to the operator presence switches whereas you cannot by-pass the safety switches without a complete wiring reconfiguration. Seems they have found out that most of us are ingenious and the old simple wiring just couldn't baffle us anymore. So they added safety measures to the safety measures. Craftsman (AYP/Electrolux) in particular is where I have seen this applied. I recommend replacing the seat safety switch before you write it off as good. Just for kicks, post back with the chassis' ID numbers as well as the engines' numbers.

Old 05-20-06, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take a piece of wire, or a cable strap/tie and make the seat connector push tighter onto the seat switch. I've seen this problem many times on craftsmans...the seat switch has a bit of a bump between the spade terminals and the connector has a spring loaded plunger between the connectors, and the bump pushes the plunger when they are connected to release the shunt inside the connector (which is what keeps you from being able to bypass the switch with just a jumper wire). The connector eventually moves back enough that the plunger is no longer pushed back enough to deactivate the shunt, and the mower thinks the switch is unplugged. Usually the connector is the problem, not the switch.