Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I sharpen my own lawn mower blade?

05-18-06, 03:03 PM   #1  
Can I sharpen my own lawn mower blade?

It's an electric lawnmower (Craftsman)

It's relatively new.

Can I use a grinder with my drill?

Is there a method to sharpen it, without taking it off the mower?

Is it more efficient to just buy a new blade?

Is it better to just take it to Sears and pay them their $52 fee for the "seasonal tune-up"?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-19-06, 12:04 AM   #2  
heres what you do

yes you can do it yourself but its better and easyer to remove it from the mower you want to grind down as you go along the lengh of the blade only sharpen the parts the cut not the whole blade make sure you do both sides you want it so sharp that your afraid to handle it. most places that rent tools ( renter center here in michigan) will sharpin it for a small fee ($5 if its a strait blade $7.50 if its a mulching blade). now you can use a grinder on the drill or if you have a bench top grinder thats better and easyer.

Posted By: Rhian It's an electric lawnmower (Craftsman)

It's relatively new.

Can I use a grinder with my drill?

Is there a method to sharpen it, without taking it off the mower?

Is it more efficient to just buy a new blade?

Is it better to just take it to Sears and pay them their $52 fee for the "seasonal tune-up"?

NY

05-19-06, 02:46 AM   #3  
Furthermore, if you take the blade to a shop they'll ensure it is balanced. A balanced blade saves your motors' bearings from demise. An electric motor "tune up" for $52? Save your money and keep the motor clean, scrape the deck and have the blade professionally sharpened once a year. Savings...about $45.

Group Moderator

WI

05-19-06, 05:09 AM   #4  
I sharpen my own blades, it's pretty straight forward. You do have to take them off and then they absolutely have to be balanced before you put them back on. Around here it's $3 per blade to have them sharpened.

05-19-06, 06:20 AM   #5  
Thanks!

Thanks to all three of you who replied!!

NY

05-19-06, 04:41 PM   #6  
Sharpening mtd 38'' cut blades

I have an mtd riding mower with 38'' deck and I'm wondering if the whole blade is supposed to be sharp. Right now, it looks as if only the outer 1/3 of both blades was meant to cut grass.
At Sears, I only see blades with the whole length sharpened.

Could someone tell me if the whole blade is supposed to be sharp?
When I get into thicker grass, it only cuts good in 1st or 2nd speed.

Group Moderator

WI

05-19-06, 05:12 PM   #7  
Sharpen whatever part of the blade was already sharpened when you bought it. As you've seen, that can be different with different blades. If you don't like the way your mower cuts, trying a different blade would be a fairly inexpensive thing to try. Keep in mind, it is possible to mow too fast and not cut the blades well.

Search this Thread