Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftman chainsaw help needed

05-18-06, 03:16 PM   #1  
craftman chainsaw help needed

I have a craftsman chainsaw model 358-356242. It is a little difficult to start and then when it does start it surges for about 10 seconds and dies unless I pull the throttle wide open. Then it really surges. I have just now rebuilt the carb, changed the one and only gas line (no return line), put in a new gas filter and put in a new spark plug. Still doing the same thing. I have tried the throttle screw out 1 1/2 turns, the high screw out 1 1/2 turns and the low out at 3/4 turns and still surging and dying. I have also adjusted them all out and in 1/4 turn or so and still surging and then dying.

This one is just flat out hard to figure out. I have rebuilt many a carb on 2 cycle and 4 cycle and I sure it is rebuilt correctly.have not been able to figure this out.

Any suggestions as I am going nuts. Repair shop is out as they want $65 to go through it and I only paid $150 new.

Sponsored Links

IA

05-18-06, 03:27 PM   #2  
Bob

Bradw:

You may have already checked this but a plugged exhaust on a two stroke will act like that. I saw it a few times on motorcycles.
They obviously have a different carb set up, but the engine designs are similar.

Hope this helps

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-18-06, 04:42 PM   #3  
i have the same problem

My stuped 2-stage snowblower does this and it won't stop it will run rough on static settings then when i adjust the highspeed screw it will speed up hold the speed for about 3 seconds and than speed up slow down backfire and do it all over again the carb has been rebuilt and it started doing this after that i was told that it could be doing this because of weak spark (My unit and points and condensers its from the 70s) do a compression test and see what psi you get you want AT LEAST 90 PSI if any lower toss it and buy a new one there cheap cause if it has low compression than the engine needs new rings and a valve job and to refresh the engine (at lest on my snowblower) i was looking a $144 thats not counting if the points had to be replaced.

Posted By: bradw I have a craftsman chainsaw model 358-356242. It is a little difficult to start and then when it does start it surges for about 10 seconds and dies unless I pull the throttle wide open. Then it really surges. I have just now rebuilt the carb, changed the one and only gas line (no return line), put in a new gas filter and put in a new spark plug. Still doing the same thing. I have tried the throttle screw out 1 1/2 turns, the high screw out 1 1/2 turns and the low out at 3/4 turns and still surging and dying. I have also adjusted them all out and in 1/4 turn or so and still surging and then dying.

This one is just flat out hard to figure out. I have rebuilt many a carb on 2 cycle and 4 cycle and I sure it is rebuilt correctly.have not been able to figure this out.

Any suggestions as I am going nuts. Repair shop is out as they want $65 to go through it and I only paid $150 new.

05-18-06, 05:22 PM   #4  
i found the problem

The intake sleeve behind the carb was broken in two and allowed a tremendous amount of air to flood the carb. sears wants 15 dollars for it so i might try a piece of rubber hose from the local home depot. i'll follow up and let you know if this was it but more than likely it is.

05-20-06, 01:31 PM   #5  
problem fixed

I found the problem. The intake sleeve has a rubber fitting on it and it was split allowing air into the cylinder. Sears wanted 15 dollars. I told them cya later and went to autozone where they gave me for free a one inch piece of rubber tubing that worked like a charm.

All is done now

Search this Thread