Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stalling pressure washer

05-19-06, 09:53 AM   #1  
Stalling pressure washer

I have a 5hp craftsman pressure washer (7 yr old) which a: fails to produce significant pressure out of the lance, and b: stalls when the water to the lance is turned off (ie, trigger is released). I replaced the lance and no improvement resulted. I'm thinking the engine is OK, but maybe the pump is binding, or a relief valve not working,-when no water flows through it. Anyone experienced anything similar? A new water pump is just a few $$ shy of a whole new washer, and I'm not sure how user-servicable the pumps are.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-19-06, 12:32 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

Are you sure the motor is running properly?
I have a 6 hp honda w/comet pump and I had similiar symptoms when the spark plug needed changing.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

05-19-06, 04:22 PM   #3  
Stalling pressure washer

Thanks,- I"ll check, - beets buying a new unit.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-06, 11:58 PM   #4  
I just about bet the unloader vlave is stuck and needs to be removed and cleaned. You'll want to look on an exploded view of your pump, near the valve body, to locate the unloader. It can be in several places and look differently on different models. Clean it, replace o-rings if needed, and you can lubricate it with petroleum jelly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-22-06, 02:15 PM   #5  
i think Cheese has it pegged.

05-23-06, 06:26 PM   #6  
Stalling pressure washer

Thanks for the guidance,- it sounds very credable, even if I don't know what an unloader valve is,- yet. I have the exploded diagram, so will give it a go this w/end. Many thanks again!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-23-06, 08:27 PM   #7  
The unloader basically relieves the pump. When you are pumping water, the water is forced through the system, out the end of the wand. When you release the trigger on the wand, the water has no place to go. The pump can't continue to pump water anywhere, and so the engine can't turn the pump and dies. The unloader valve basically relieves the pump of this excessive pressure until you pull the trigger again and give the water a place to go.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread