Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Loose pulley, belt slips off in reverse...

NY

05-19-06, 04:52 PM   #1  
Loose pulley, belt slips off in reverse...

Hi!, I have An older MTD riding mower that has worked great for the past few weeks. But just the other day, the drive belt started slipping off the rear pulley (on top of the tranny) when I went in reverse. The pulley is very loose, but the nut on top of it is tight. The screw with the pulley on top that goes down into the tranny is loose.

Is the transmission bad?
Is it worth fixing? It runs great in forward.

Here are some pictures
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerr5bt/id3.html

Sponsored Links

NY

05-20-06, 08:14 AM   #2  
Without the chance to see/feel/inspect it firsthand, it will be difficult to determine if the input shaft (into the tranny) is to blame, internally, or the exposed shaft and/or the ID of the pulley are/is to blame. Pull the pulley off and inspect for wear at the exposed shaft and ID of the pulley and also grab ahold of the shaft and see if you have side play, which would indicate shaft wear internally. My guess is the latter, but, it's only a guess.

NY

05-20-06, 12:45 PM   #3  
The shaft does have side play. Is there supposed to be a plastic sleeve or something on the shaft?

I took the whole transmission apart; everything looked okay.
I took a piece of a large spring and made a sort of washer for the pulley to sit on. It doesn't move around very much anymore although I don't know if this will last.

I think my main problem is the smaller pulley. It sits a little higher than the rear pulley.

Also, did you see my pictures? They might help. If the link does not work, copy and paste it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-06, 11:04 PM   #4  
There are needle ebarings in the tranny case where the input shaft goes in. These are probably bad, and consequently probably ruined the input shaft as well. Disassembly of the tranny would be required to repair.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-21-06, 06:41 AM   #5  
I don't believe there is any plastic sleeve of any sort. As Cheese mentioned, there are needle bearings (two) related to the input shaft (which they are pressed into the top half of the tranny case) and if there is excessive wear in them you need to replace them. And if they have caused wear to the shaft you will want to replace this as well. Be aware of any needles that may have dropped out and into the tranny - be sure to locate and remove them. As for the smaller pulley (which is the idler pulley) this must be aligned with the drive (double stack pulley) and driven (tranny) pulley. You may have wear here as well that needs to be addressed, whether it be the pulley bearing itself or the idler arm (which the idler pulley mounts to) or the shoulder spacer (which provides the pivot action) in the arm.

NY

05-21-06, 09:38 AM   #6  
When I took it apart, all I saw on the input shaft was the pulley on top, a couple washers, and some type of gear head. The whole thing wobbled around the shaft housing pretty badly.

If someone could show me what a needle bearing looks like, I would appreciate it. I tried looking on Ebay and couldn't find anything to do with an input shaft.

I won't be able to work on this for a few days, but when I do, I will take more pictures of inside the transmission and the input shaft.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-21-06, 11:22 PM   #7  
You'll ahve to remove the pulley and slip the input shaft out to see the bearings, or what's left of them. There probably aren't any needles left in them, and they are going to be in the grease in the tranny. Without removing them, you'll have other problems.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-24-06, 11:00 AM   #8  
Had a friend put what they called a "bushing" in the input shaft housing. It doesn't wobble at all anymore and has a solid feel to it. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Search this Thread