Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stump grinding question...

05-20-06, 08:18 PM   #1  
Stump grinding question...

I am renting a stump grinder next weekend to level our front lawn. The 4' diameter tree was removed by a previous owner a few years ago and the stump was left about 6 inches higher than the rest of the yard then covered with dirt and grass.
Is it advisable to removed the dirt and grass before grinding or can I just be lazy and grind through grass,dirt and stump all at once?
Any other tips on stump grinding are also welcome.

Regards

Sponsored Links

05-20-06, 08:32 PM   #2  
4 foot wide stump? you got your work cut out for you I am assuming this is one of the ones with a backward and forward lever but you have to swing it side to side? Or is it one that is all hydrolic? Dirt wont matter you can grind through all that. Important thing to remember when renting a stump grinder is to make sure it has some good teeth on it. If they give you one with worn out teeth it will work you much harder (especially with the little manual ones) I would make sure you get at least some basic instruction at the rental place as well.

NY

05-21-06, 06:53 AM   #3  
Earth is fine, rocks/stones are not. Check for and remove any such before proceding.

AL

05-21-06, 01:47 PM   #4  
Don't know if this little tid bit of info will be of any use or not.Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth,but I worked at a national known rental store for much of my teenage years.And every employee had to know how to use everything that we rented in order to tell the customer how to use it,and use it saftly.

Those things spin at a rate of 10,000 plus RPM"s,and as puey61 pointed out,they can eat through dirt in no time at all.But there just like a trencher or a chainsaw there's nothing that dulls the theeth any faster than dirt.And rocks is a defiant no no.

As far as the teeth sharpness goes when ever you rent it,the rental compenay is supposed to sharpen them after each rental.But it's not a bad idea to check them yourself to make sure that their square and true.Also tell them what kind of tree stumps you'll be removing.Crank it up and ingauge the cutting wheel,put the wheel brake on.If it doesn't stop with in 2-3 sec's.
make them re-adjust it.Don't let pets oranyone else anywhere near you when ever your grinding.
These,even with all of the safty fetures,is a dangerus mechaine.

Listen good when ever their telling you how to use it.A don't be afred to ask questions.

Your life or someone you love my depend on it.

GOOD LUCK

05-21-06, 02:29 PM   #5  
Umm too bad about dirt wearing out a trencher since that's what they are for lol. Rocks should go without saying. Not like a chainsaw where it's dull the second it touches the ground. Still don't know what type your planning to rent but those little ones are some hard work and I agree about the dangerous part. They like to shoot big chunks at the speed of light. One time I was using one and took a step and it squished like I stepped in a puddle. I looked down and there was blood everywhere from where a little rock had punctured a vein. I didn't even know it happened. It wasn't serious but they do shoot debris watch out

05-21-06, 04:11 PM   #6  
Thanks for the input gentlemen.
The rental store I'm dealing with only rents one type of stump grinder (I did'nt know there were more), but it apparently weighs in the range of 300lbs so I'm guessing it'll do the job.
Safety always comes first so all safety wear will be used indeed.
I think that I'll take the time to clean off the stump this week beforehand so I'll be able to see exactly what I'm grinding and throw that much less debri around at the same time.
Neighbours beware! This stump is at the corner of the sidewalk and my driveway!!
Thanks again

Regards

05-22-06, 02:12 PM   #7  
if it's not at least 20 hp walk away and find another unit.

PA

05-23-06, 09:29 AM   #8  
If it's next to your driveway, move your cars far enough away to avoid debris breaking windows or causing other damage. Also get your nieghbors to do the same if they are close by.

Search this Thread