running Toro for two seasons without air filter

Old 05-22-06, 12:11 PM
running Toro for two seasons without air filter

Bought a new Toro for my wife two years ago. Recently it started missing and I told her the air filter needed replaced. When I looked I saw none there. I pulled the plug it was badly fouled,replaced it. Installed new filter, sprayed carb cleaner in carb and changed the oil. Now it runs poorly and smokes. Do I need to check the valves and the rings?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 02:00 PM
you probably killed the rings and bore. what happend to the filter ? have you had it dealer serviced since you bought it?

Old 05-22-06, 08:03 PM
Yeah, you injested lots of dirt, which scours away at the bore and rings, valves too. If it was serviced by someone, and nobody else touched it, I'd go looking at the service guy to replace the engine or the whole mower.

Old 05-23-06, 06:17 AM
No, We bought it at Home Depot and it was already assembled. And since we did not use it too much we didn't check any thing until there was a problem. I guess there was never one in it. The warranty ended in april 24th.

Old 05-23-06, 08:05 AM
the reason i asked is that on new equipment we have had mechanics grab a filter from a new unit because we were out of stock. that's ok if the unit is tagged. i've also had parts stolen from units on display. sounds to me like the filter was removed while on display. start with HD and then go to Toro with a complaint on how the unit was not properly prepared for delivery. the engine mfg won't be much help. one thought, since you really did not fullfill your responsability by performing annual service, a process that would have detected the missing filter at the first oil change ( should have been at 10 hours ), you may consider paying for the labor on a short block replacement. i ate the first engine when it happend but i was and independent dealer with a reputation to protect and i felt it was our neglect that caused the problem. good luck.

Old 05-23-06, 09:03 AM
I always tell folks to go through the manual thoroughly and check the set up steps that the dealer/store was supposed to do at assembly. As simple as verifying that there is oil in the motor, the mower is level, all the hardware that is supposed to be tight is actually tight. It only takes a few minutes, but can catch a potential bad thing before the damage is done. I do it to any machine I might be looking to buy to see what kinds of problems I might have (if used) and just to verify that the machine was set up correctly (if new). Best of luck to you in getting your's repaired.

Old 05-23-06, 10:08 AM
I just got off the phone with Torro, They are not sure what or even if they will pay anything because I should have at least checked the filter before using it the second season. We hardly use the machine because we have two Lawnmowers. I figured a brand new Torro would be fine and I didn't check it. Our other mower is a Lawnboy that is about 25 years old. We bought a new one because the old was in the shop and would take a month to get back. The Lawnboy has been through hell and still runs good. after two years of moderate use the Torro Is dead. If Torro pays anything I will be happy and I can mark this down as a valuable lesson. Don't assume your product is a perfectly assembled ready to use item. Hopefully others can learn from my mistake.

Old 05-23-06, 03:27 PM
The "assembled properly" is a question everyone needs to ask when something is bought at the chain stores. I can't count the number of times a customer brought in a machine from the box stores and it was blatantly misassembled or missing parts and sometimes dangerously. If, as flopshot mentioned, the filter was removed by a store clerk then it would be their fault. The air filter is something that is not "assembled" at the store. It comes already in place from the factory. Now if you could only find the clerk and have them admit this was done, you'd have a case. But since this is not likely you likely won't find anyone to accept blame and you'll be out a nice newer mower. You will, of course, want to confirm that you have internal engine trouble by taking it to an authorized Toro dealer and have them inspect it. You will have to pay for this, mind you, unless they find cause for warranty, that is.

Search this Thread