Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 20023 Personal Pace Recycler linkage problem

MN

05-22-06, 01:31 PM   #1  
Toro 20023 Personal Pace Recycler linkage problem

Mowed lawn for a half hour today and suddenly the engine would get to full power and now only runs at about half usual RPM's. I have confirmed the problem is related to the linkage. But I can't find the problem. The bail for the throttle linkage seems to be work fine from the handle bar to the left side connection at the engine. But after that the linkage going accross the back of the engine on to the carbuator shows no movement at the carburator when the bail is engage.

I need your help. Has anyone else experienced this problem or worked on the Toro which had this problem? If so, what is the likely problem and what is the best way to fix it.

Thanks for the help. This forum is great.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-22-06, 11:11 PM   #2  
Are you saying the engine is surging? If so, you probably got some water in the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-23-06, 03:01 AM   #3  
I think you're confusing the brake linkage for the throttle/governor linkage. You should have a total of three cables running from the top of the handlebars to the engine/chassis. One being for the drive control, another for the brake control and the last for the throttle control. Do you have a Briggs or a Tecumseh engine on yours? If you have a Briggs and you have some shrubbery you mow under, the speed control arm that the governor attaches to likely got bent inward and results in lower RPM's.

MN

05-23-06, 05:39 AM   #4  
puey61, you are right on

with what the problem is. Now my question is what is the best method for bending the contol arm back while making sure it is set at the right RPM's. By the way do you know at what the RPM's this mower should be set at? The engine is a 6hp Briggs. The model number is 12H802 1767-E1 98111358.

Thanks for the help

MN

05-23-06, 06:24 AM   #5  
puey61, on second inspection

the problem seems to be with the linkage wire that is looped at the carbuator and goes to the back of the engine under the gas tank. This linkage wire is very limp and provides no resistence to the sping connected to the crontrol arm. Any ideas as to what maybe causing this? What does the repair involve should this need fixing?

Thanks again

NY

05-23-06, 03:32 PM   #6  
The point at which the governor spring attaches to the front most point on the engine will bend easily using your index finger. Bend it so that it applies more tension to the spring. The RPM's will be 3400+-. If you don't have a tachometer, your ear will tell you pretty well. But, make sure you don't bend it so far that the engine races well above this RPM.

MN

05-23-06, 04:34 PM   #7  
puey61, problem fixed.

Thanks for the help.

NY

05-24-06, 04:22 AM   #8  
Fantastic! You know where to find us should you need us again.

Search this Thread