Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

electric trimmer

05-23-06, 01:01 PM   #1  
electric trimmer

While I was using my craftsman electric trimmer today, it just stopped working..... I have no idea whats wrong or what to do....it is only 1 year old and I have only used it 2-3 times....

Is there anything I can do besides buy a new one?? IF not should I get a gas one instead????

Sponsored Links

NY

05-23-06, 02:42 PM   #2  
First, you'll want to confirm that it is the trimmer and not the fuse breaker in your home. Try the unit at another outlet that you know is not related to the outlet you were using. If OK at this point then go and reset the breaker and be sure to use a heavier gauge extension cord. If no difference, try another extension cord. Although rare, they can burn out. If still no difference, it's safe to assume that the trimmer is at fault. And now it would have to be determined what, on the trimmer, is the exact trouble. You'll need a multimeter and patience and a special torx socket for tamper proof screws that the unit likely has in place. Post back with your findings on the outlet and cord first and then we'll proceed, if necessary.

05-24-06, 07:58 AM   #3  
I checked the outlet and it is working fine, I don't really know about extension cord sizes I have two orange outdoor ones and I tried both of them, but got nothing.....
Im going to make sure right now that its still not working and that the extension cords are good................
cords are good and they say 13A, 125V, 1625W is this acceptable??
Thanks so much for your help!!!!

05-24-06, 08:38 AM   #4  
I don't know what a multimeter or a special torx socket is, I took all the regular screws out and the thing is not coming apart, I think there are 2 screws in the bottom but do not figure any way to get them out. ?

I took the handle apart and everything looked to be intact there.

I will see about getting those other things.

05-24-06, 04:02 PM   #5  
Well I finally got it apart with some help, I guess that I was being to hard on it because it threw some spring thing off and burnt though some wire, but I think that we will be able to get it running again, if only for awhile.

Thanks again,
Deb

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-24-06, 04:11 PM   #6  
now this is just my opinon but get a gas one they have power and no cord to burn up and they won't bogg down as fast as a electric and won't won't burn up.

05-25-06, 08:17 AM   #7  
Your probably right, I just like the fact that I don't have to start the thing.

I bet I messed it up when I got it caught in the stupid cord, it was only for a couple of seconds at most, and it worked fine for awhile after that, but thats the only thing I can think of, except for I may have overfilled the line in it???? I haven't used a weed eater in my life, probably should have had a lesson or something b4 I started.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-06, 11:35 PM   #8  
Some posts have been removed. The reason I removed them was the mis-information contained within, both authored and quoted. We cannot condone disregarding manufacturer's reccomendations. If it didn't matter what oil ratio you used, the manufacturer wouldn't reccomend a ratio. Use of the wrong ratio can cause harm and also void warranties. And, once again, the oil in the pre-measured bottles is just that. Just regular 2-stroke oil in a pre-measured bottle to make it easier for people to mix it without having to pour oil into a measuring device. No special scientific blend that is only good for that particular ratio.

Always follow equipment manufacturer's reccomendations.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

05-27-06, 03:40 AM   #9  
Deb, If you don't want to deal with a gas unit and don't like the cord dragging around the yard you could get a cordless/rechargable trimmer. My old neighbor uses one and has had it several years and loves it. If your yard is not huge you may consider one.

05-27-06, 04:06 AM   #10  
If this was my trimmer, it would be worth it to me to have a proper repair facility check it and repair if needed...even if I had to pay. A gas trimmer would probably be a better choice, but if you are not "mechanically-inclined" (as I am not) you'll have even more frustrations in store as you try to cope with the concerns and needed maintenance on a gas unit. I have a Craftsman electric trimmer that is at least 10 years old and the only problem I've had is that after all that usage I think the trigger mechanism is finally beginning to weaken. I will probably replace it with another electric (hopefully a good one). For me...10 years of virtually no trouble at all is worth the inconvenience of having to drag a cord around. That's my 2 cents.

AZ

Search this Thread