oil-gas mix leaking out the exhaust pipe

Old 05-23-06, 04:11 PM
oil-gas mix leaking out the exhaust pipe

my dad has a MTD yard machine bought in 1996 it has a 18hp Briggs/Stratton engine and he rebuilt the carb and he still has oil and gas mix leaking out the exhaust pipe?can anyone tell us what the problem could be? thank you very much for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by indiansman2002
my dad has a MTD yard machine bought in 1996 it has a 18hp Briggs/Stratton engine and he rebuilt the carb and he still has oil and gas mix leaking out the exhaust pipe?can anyone tell us what the problem could be? thank you very much for your time
Not familiar with the engine, but I'm very familiar with the problem.

I was mucking out an old Tecumseh engine, and in the process of de-gooping the carb I unknowingly damaged the float bowl needle valve seat...not a lot, but enough to let a full tank of fuel drain into the carb, down the intake, and into the cylinder and crankcase. I replaced the little silicone rubber donut that is the needle valve seat, and everything was happy again.

Chances are you have a similar problem going on...your float bowl is most likely leaking into the carb somehow. DEFINITELY check your crankcase oil, and be prepared to drain and replace it.

Old 05-23-06, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the oil smell like gas? Does the engine smoke?

Old 05-24-06, 08:30 AM
we drained the crankcase and it was full of oil and gas mix the oil has a strong gas smell in it and it does smoke a good bit and sprayes the oil everywhere when started thanks Arex for the help

Old 05-25-06, 12:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't run it like that anymore until the problem is fixed. Either the fuel pump is leaking fuel into the engine or the carb is still leaking.