tecumseh carb and governor help please

Old 05-12-06, 03:31 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tecumseh carb and governor help please

Hi all

i have a older (late 70's early 80's)tecumseh 8 hp horizontal engine.
Model # h80-155007a
using it for a homemade logsplitter.

I bought a brand new carb need to know if anyone knows what the settings on the carb should be?( how many turns out) for the screw on the bottom of the carb bowl then there is another screw on the side (besides the idle screw)
because it hesitataes a little when giving it gas off idle

Also 1 more big question I am trying to get the governor hooked up right. I bought a new spring & linkage. When the engine is off should the governor lever with the spring & linkage hold the throttle wide open OR closed on the carb?
Why I am asking is because I was looking at my generator that is a couple years old with a 10 hp engine and when it is off the throttle is in wide open position.
It looks like it is almost the same carb & governer setup at the other engine but it has a heavier govonor spring.

Thanks for all your help

Michael

Last edited by michaelrj9; 05-12-06 at 04:11 PM. Reason: model #
Old 05-13-06, 12:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It should be open, unless the throttle is all the way to low, and then it may or may not be closed, or slightly so.

The screw on the side should be around 1 1/2 to 2 full turns out from lightly seated. The screw under the bowl has no set place to be, but if you turn it out till it sputters, then turn it in until it surges/spits while counting the turns, then back it out 1/2 that number of turns, you should be about right.

Old 05-13-06, 08:38 AM
michaelrj9
The basic settings on your carb are 1 1/4 turns out from seated. In other words, turn them both in until they seat softly ( don't turn them in so far as to damage the tips) now turn them both out 1 1/4 turns and that will give you enough fuel to start and let your engine warm up to complete the adjustments.
Once the engine is warmed up, put it to full throttle and start to turn the Hi speed needle(bottom of the float bowl) in til the motor starts to surge or run unevenly.(remember this setting) Now back it out until the motor starts to run unevenly or surges again. You have to now go in between these 2 points and your top end should be very close to being properly set. Some minor tweaking may be necessary.
Now put the motor to idle and do the same with the low speed needle,(on the side of the carb)
Before you actually do the above, the governor situation MUST be addressed. When your throttle is at the stop position, your throttle may be wide open but not under spring pressure. In other words, you can move the throttle plate open and closed with very little pressure. Once you put the throttle to full, you will now feel the throttle wide open and it takes a some pressure to close it. Reason being is now when the engine is running, the internal governor is controlling the acceleration.
As for the generator throttle being wide open is because it is a fixed throttle(meaning that you can't adjust the throttle by way of a cable or lever) so once the generator starts, it goes to it specified RPM.
I hope this doesn't confuse you more than help you.

snoman

Old 05-27-06, 02:19 PM
M
I have a question about the governor.
I was reading another post on this site and the guy asked if the governor moves just a litttle.

If I take off the arm & linkage going to the carb I can spin the shaft almost 360 degrees. does this meen it is broke internally? or is this normal?

Thanks

Michael

Last edited by michaelrj9; 06-01-06 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 03:53 PM
M
Originally Posted by michaelrj9
I have a question about the governor.
I was reading another post on this site and the guy asked if the governor moves just a litttle.

If I take off the arm & linkage going to the carb I can spin the shaft almost 360 degrees. does this meen it is broke internally? or is this normal?
Why I am asking is because it seems like it is not doing anything when the engine running.I tried adjusting same thing.
under load engine just dies.

Thanks

Michael
Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: