toro 22" recycler personal pace grinding noise

Old 05-23-06, 06:43 PM
toro 22" recycler personal pace grinding noise

i have the above mentioned self-propelled mower...have had it for about 5 years...great little machine...

however, today i was using it and then heard this terrible grinding noise (sounds like gears not engaging completely)...also, it no longer is a self-propelled lawn mower...when i lift the back wheels off the ground, they both move as normal, but as soon as put them down and the weight of the mower is on the wheels, the sound is very noticeable and loud...plus, it can't propel itself...

it is definitely in the self-propelled mechanism...the wheels engage the gears on the axel fine, but i can't seem to find where the sound is coming from exactly...

any ideas??? also, any ideas on cost???

thanks...michael

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, it sound to me like the gears in the transmission gave it up. I don't know the price of a replacement for this mower. Maybe someone here is a toro dealer?

Old 05-24-06, 04:20 AM
Model and serial numbers please, hobbs.

Old 05-24-06, 05:25 AM
model and serial numbers

model: 20017
serial: 220028148

did i mention that the belt is fine and i don't see any problem the mechanism that makes it self propelled, so i assume is to do with the gears inside the little transmission box...

could anything happen to the small gears on the axel??? are they suppose to spin on the axel in both directions??? i think one of the small gears on the axel spins both ways with a little work...

Old 05-24-06, 07:44 AM
Michael,The gears on the axle does turn both ways,BY HAND.But one way is hard,and should make your belt pulley on the transmission turn.The gears slips on the axle to back up and turn.
Althou when the wheels are engauged they only suposed to catch for going farward.If they are doing this,check the gears in the wheels.Look for wear.Sounds like the noise would be the theeth on the gears granding together.

Old 05-24-06, 10:12 AM
gears checked

i checked the gears and how they rotate together...there is no sign of slipping or teeth not fitting together badly...

only thing i can think of is the inside of the little black box that has the axel running through...it looks like a pinion type gear in the parts drawing....

Old 05-25-06, 11:55 AM
Around $35 from your local Toro dealer for a complete assembly.

Old 05-31-06, 05:27 PM
What was the final resolve on this, because I have the exact same model and issue. I pulled mine apart and here's what I found:

The pinion on the end of the axle that goes into the wheel spins one direction freely. If turned the opposite direction, it should "catch" and lock into place. That's the way it's working on the wheel that spins on mine. The wheel that no longer spins doesn't "catch" regardless of which direction I turn it.

The way it looks like it's working is that pinion should "catch" the axle and then turn the gear box. I.E., I don't think it's the axle and gearbox not performing correctly, I think there's something wrong with the pinion mounted on the wheels end of the axle.

Here's a link to what I am talking about---look at number 4

https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/...ingDiagramPage

Any thoughts on how to replace that, or if that's even the problem?

Thanks!
Shumax

Old 05-31-06, 07:06 PM
fix

got it fixed...

a new transmission (about $36)
a new belt (about $15)
labor ($50)

it was the transmission...i asked him what was wrong with it...he said it needed a new transmission...i then asked him if it was the pinion gear that was stripped or not working properly...he said it cost to much labor to disassemble the little box and try to repair...it is cheaper to go ahead and get the new transmission...

it was a certified toro dealer and repair shop...

Old 06-01-06, 07:34 AM
Fixed!

I called a local Toro dealer and described the issue and he knew exactly what it was.

I took the wheel off, the cotter key and then the sprocket. When you pull the sprocket off, there's a half moon shaped device in there that is controlled witha spring that is buried in the shaft. That spring was clogged with grass clippings, etc. The spring pushes the half moon piece up into the sprocket to engage it and power the wheel. What was happening was that, because the spring was gummed up, it wouldn't push the half moon piece up into the sprocket and it would then never engage the wheel.

I cleaner it with parts cleaner, oiled it all and put it back together and it runs fine now.

Shumax