Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mcculloch Eager Beaver PROBLEM!!!

05-27-06, 06:58 PM   #1  
Mcculloch Eager Beaver PROBLEM!!!

I have a mcculloch eager beaver III-SL and I have had it running originally, but it ran terribly rich when i fully throttled it so i changed some settings on two of the carb screws....i set itand then it wouldnt start, I finally got it to where it fires and runs, but it runs for maybe 5-10 seconds and stalls if i either give it gas or not......what would the settings be? there are two carb screws, in front of one it has an "H" and the other a "L" and one is longer than the other. Also, when I get it to run for a few seconds, i try to start it again and it doesnt sound like it wants to run.....i am completely stumped and i haev blisters on my hands from pulling the starter so much. If anyone can help me it would be greatly greatly appreciated.. Thank you

Sponsored Links

05-27-06, 07:25 PM   #2  
also it kinda sounded like there was a little play in the cylinder but it ran fine, and when it stalls it goes blub blub blub, "Ting" what is that sound?? lol im not sure on what to do, but the muffler is all gunked up with oil and unburnt gas, so that may be the problem but i still need some help getting it to run properly.

IA

05-27-06, 08:40 PM   #3  
Bob

Start with your muffler and exhaust port of the cylinder. If it's plugged you'll never get the rest of it right until its cleaned.

The ting you hearing could be the pull starter, or the chain brake, or reed valve clatter.

Hope this helps

05-28-06, 10:56 AM   #4  
nah i took off the exhaust pipe thing, and it still does the same thing, boom boom, blub blub blub........i probably need to know the carb settings or i need to clean it out, either way im pretty sure of it, but, i dont know what to do to clean a carb, never did it but i trash picked it so who cares not like I payed for it.

05-30-06, 11:48 AM   #5  
bump bump bump

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-06, 01:50 AM   #6  
There is no right "setting" for the screws. You an try starting at 1 1/2 turns out from seated on both screws and fine tune from there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-31-06, 12:04 PM   #7  
ok i will, but it seems that it likes to start most when they are both screwed in......the first day i had it it ran good but rich, but it ran.....now i cant even get it to stay idling, any thoughts?

05-31-06, 12:15 PM   #8  
also, which screw is the air and fuel, one is short and one is a little longer, the shorter one is closer to the air filter, and the longer one is near the cylinder. Also, there is a screw all the way underneath the carb, is that the idle screw??? lol im not a master mechanic

IA

06-01-06, 12:05 PM   #9  
Bob

Both of the screws you have first mentioned are fuel air screws. One adjusts for low rpm and the other for high. Typically they are marked L and H respectively.

The last screw you are talking about is likely the engine idle screw. With the mixtures adjusted properly, you would adjust that idle rpm screw to set the idle speed. Typically it does that by opening the throttle slightly.

Since you've had better luck with it running with both mixture screws seated, although you said you still had an overly rich mixture, it would follow you have leak in the carburetor. I would think about rebuilding or replacing the carburetor.

Earlier I mentioned a plugged muffler or exhaust port can cause problems, which they can. After cleaning those parts of the engine however, the muffler needs to be in place to get the engine to run properly. The backpressure it provides is part of the tuning of the engine.

Hope this helps

Search this Thread