B&S 3.5HP Motor starts, then dies

Old 05-27-06, 07:07 PM
B&S 3.5HP Motor starts, then dies

My son's gokart has a B&S 3.5 motor I bought new about 5 years ago. It has roughly 15 hrs run time. Every spring would get it out and it would run like a clock. This year it starts only if I pour some gas down the carb, and then dies. As long as I pour gas down the carb, it keeps running. It has great spark and compression. The carb has the gas tank below it. I took off the tank and cleaned it out as well as the tube leading up to the carb. I am a bit embarassed as I have a lot of experience in motorcycle and car repair, but this carb/tank setup is different than what I used to seeing . I don't quite understand how the fuel gets pulled into the carb, but it seems to be a problem with getting fuel from the tank to the carb . I was a bit confused by the model number, as the manual that came up on the B&S site showed a motor that had a carb with a bowl- not like mine. My ID plate read as follows:
TBS148U1G1RB-EM 148 9HH

Help!
Marc in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-06, 08:55 PM
There's a little "panel" on the side of the carb, take this off and replace the diapragm and see how that helps. I'd also replace the gasket inbetween the tank and carb. Was there any gunk on the pickup tubes when you did clean them? Then theres also a good possibility that they will get clogged again.

Old 05-27-06, 09:35 PM
You May Want To Try To Dis-assemble The Carb And Throughly Clean Each Part With Carb Cleaner. Make Sure You Even Clean The "jet" Located At The Bottom Of The Bowl. That Little Hole Could Be Clogged And Causing Your Problem.

C Curry