Removing flywheel

Old 05-28-06, 09:42 AM
Removing flywheel

I have a craftman 15.5hp Briggs and stratton riding lawn mower that I need to remove the flywheel to replace the plastic gear for the starter. Is there any tricks or pullers I can buy to remove this to repair? any thoughts would be appricated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-06, 10:06 AM
nap
I am not familiar with this particualr briggs, I have worked on may smaller models. If it is like those, a puller should be used to remove the thing. They are a cast metal and relatively easily damaged.

With that said:
I have removed flywheels by wedging behind the flywheel at two opposing points. All you want to do is apply some (not alot) of pressure or you will break it.

Then with a brass mallet or hammer and a soft piece of metal, wrap squarely on the end of the crankshaft. This will cause it to pop loose.

BTW do NOT forget to take of the retaining nut before attempting this.

Old 05-28-06, 08:10 PM
This engine should have steel flywheel, they are much stronger then the aluminum, so a little more force can be used. But pretty much about the same thing applies to them like the small ones. Be sure to check the flywheel key for wear on it, replace if so. And get the torque settings for the nut (can be had off the briggs site)

Old 05-28-06, 10:51 PM
nap
It may sound like a silly reminder but do not forget to put the woodruff key back in when replacing the flywheel.

If you forgot that you wouldn't be the first.

Old 05-29-06, 12:51 PM
I am not familiar with that particular engine, but the starters i had to work on and the gear that I replaced in the past just required that the starter be unbolted from the side of the motor and worked on.

Old 05-31-06, 01:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have a plastic ring gear on the flywheel, and that's the problem, then you can use an automotive type steering wheel puller to remove the flywheel.

Search this Thread