Toro 20017 Recycler Wheels Locking

Old 05-28-06, 10:37 AM
Toro 20017 Recycler Wheels Locking

I have the Tor 20017 Self Propelled Recycler Personal Pace lawn mower and the rear wheels have locked up. They roll forward but will not allow the mower to roll backward. I think the rocking keys are not dropping out as they are supposed to. The drive cable may also not be adjusted properly.

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-06, 01:59 PM
I think the rocking keys are not dropping out as they are supposed to.

Sounds like your right on the money on that.
All you have to do is take one side off at a time and clean out good with WD-40.Take notice to the way each gear comes off,where you get them on right.

Old 05-31-06, 06:27 PM
Toro recycler

Thanks repair_guy,

I took off the wheels and the handle brackets and removed the transmission from the shaft. When I opened the transmission it was full of what looked like a mixture of grease and dirt. The small pinion that is driven by the drive belt was not turning. After I sprayed with WD-40, it turned freely.

I am guessing that all of these parts need to be cleaned and the housing filled with grease before reassembling. Is that what you would suggest? I am not sure how I would loosen the nut that attaches the drive belt pulley to the pinion shaft since they turn together. I wanted to take that apart to clean all those parts. Would you hold backup on the OD of the pulley?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Old 05-31-06, 09:06 PM
Yep thats what I'd do.Take the belt off and hold the O D of the pulley with some thing to losen the nut.

If you need a picture of it goto
https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro
type in the model and then find the ser # of mower then the pic you want.

Old 06-01-06, 04:14 PM
Toro recycler

Thanks again my friend.

One other question - my manual does not indicate what type of grease and what quantity to use in the transmission housing. Do you know what should be used and if the whole housing should be filled?