Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gear oil in Tecumseh 6 speed transaxle?

05-30-06, 08:39 AM   #1  
Gear oil in Tecumseh 6 speed transaxle?

Hello, need some advice on an old 12.5 HP Craftsman lawn tractor from 1985 (I think Roper made it but not sure). A couple gears are broken in the 6-speed transaxle, and I have it apart to repair it. It is stamped Tecumseh on it, the Sears model number is 143920-002, and Sears does list parts for it still (I ordered the 2 broken gears). My question is, what kind of oil was in this, and how much? All that is in there now is black sludge, no liquid at all. I am correct in assuming there was once gear oil in it? I can clean out all the sludge, and there is a yellow plastic cap on the top half that looks like you could add oil in it, but I don't know what type of oil or how much (nothing in the owners manual)...

Sponsored Links

05-30-06, 09:44 AM   #2  
Regular 80w-90 gear oil. That cap (from what I've been told) is a vent cap. But you can fill it right there. I've forgotten exactly, But I think its around 20-25 ounces. One question, does whats left smell like sulfur? Then thats gear oil. I myself wouldn't worry about cleaning whats left in there. But you could either take it apart and wipe em off, or use some parts cleaner on it. I have two basically the same (in a 7 speed) And last time I filled it back up, it took almost a quart of gear oil.

05-30-06, 11:53 AM   #3  
Thanks, didn't notice the smell, but gear oil makes sense. I'll get a quart and pour some in till I can feel it on my finger placed into that vent hole, that should be enough... I'll use some parts cleaner to get the sludge off, I want to be sure I get out all the broken gear teeth anyway... There was no evidence of any leak, so I guess 20 yrs is beyond the useful life of gear oil.. To be honest I never considered servicing the oil in the transaxle, though I do the engine oil regularly...

05-30-06, 01:36 PM   #4  
Yeah, these transaxles are considered to have a lifetime fill.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-06, 02:08 PM   #5  
Whoah,

Do'nt use gear oil. Almost none of the transaxles on modern lawn equipment take gear oil. This unit takes "00" grease. You can get it at most small engine shops. Gear oil will not stay in it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-30-06, 07:54 PM   #6  
Posted By: cheese Whoah,

Do'nt use gear oil. Almost none of the transaxles on modern lawn equipment take gear oil. This unit takes "00" grease. You can get it at most small engine shops. Gear oil will not stay in it.
Well, for whats its worth... thats what I was told, and thats what it smelled like in mine (gear oil) BUT of course its not leaking around the seals, just the axle shafts.... it was run with absolutely nothing for over a year. Dirt and all in it by the other guy. I'm just waiting till it dies

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-06, 01:20 AM   #7  
Yeah, it does smell a bit like gear oil. It's a grease that's thicker than gear oil, but thinner than bearing grease. The gear oil will leak out the axle shafts. If you use "00" grease, just use a quart to fill. Fill it before you put the top half of the case on.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-31-06, 12:20 PM   #8  
Super, thanks for the info.. I'll get the '00' grease and use a qt before reassembly...

Search this Thread