honda mower bogs down

Old 05-18-06, 10:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
honda mower bogs down

Here's the thing. I have a Honda HRB 215 self propelled lawn mower that has worked great for me for the last 9 years. Recently it has started boggin down under load (ie when cutting high grass). When I mean bog down I mean the engine stays running strong at high RPM but the blade slows and ultimatley stops turning. Once I lift the mower out of the tall grass the blades engage again. I have adjusted the blade engagement cable to spec with no excess play in it. I think I need to replace my blade drive clutch assembly. What to you guys think? Has anyone attempted this? Is it a hard job? Are specialty tools required? Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

Jeff

Old 05-21-06, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree that your clutch probably needs replacing. You can take it apart and check it out. The cost of replacement will probably exceed the value of the mower, but take a look. I haven't done one in a long time, but I don't recall it being very hard.

Make sure the cable is actually pulling the pressure plate around. I've seen the balls in the clutch wear dimples where they rest, and dirt/grass accumulates around them and they don't allow the plate to rotate like it should. It seems like I've used a dremel tool to smooth out the edges of the dimples so the balls could roll smoothly again.

Old 05-29-06, 02:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sometimes it's the small things....... So I started disassembling the blade/clutch assembly to find the main nut, in the center of the pulley, holding everything together had worked it's way loose. Go figure?!?! Tightened the nut up to spec and she runs like a charm. Thanks for your help Cheese.

Old 05-31-06, 01:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Glad you got it, and thanks for the update!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: