Engine won't start

Old 05-30-06, 06:22 PM
Engine won't start

I have a bower washer with a Honda 5.0 (cg160) engine on it. As I was using it the other day the engine kicked off and now I can't get it started. I pulled the plug, replaced it with one I know works from my neighbors power washer with the same engine. I took the plug out still connected, and couldn't see a spark when I pulled the rope. I'm stuck on how to trouble shoot. I would greatly appreciate some advise. Thanks in advance.
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-06, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
well lets start with the basics is there gas in the tank? to check for spark hold the spark plug about an inch form the engine block crank the engine and see you my not see it but you should be able to hear it.

Old 05-30-06, 07:50 PM
nap
Does it have an oil level sensor? If so, is there enough oil in the crankcase?

This would kill the engine and prevent restart exactly as you describe.

Old 05-31-06, 01:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The spark plug cannot be held an inch from the engine to spark. The plug needs to be in contact with metal on the engine for it to spark. You should be able to SEE the spark at the plug electrode. Are you checking it this way? If so, and you don't have spark, the oil level may well be the problem, as mentioned.

Old 05-31-06, 04:42 AM
Engine won't start

Thanks for helping. Here's what I now know. Yes, there is gas in the tank. I touched the plug to the crank case and there is a spark. I checked the oil level (about 1/2) and added more oil. So now the question is how do we check that gas is getting into the cylinder?
-Dennis

Old 05-31-06, 05:49 AM
Here are a couple of not the safest ways to see if it is totally starved for gas. When you have the plug out pour a smidge in the cyl and reinsert the plug and give her a whirl. Just a cc or two, you don't want to lock it up and bend the rod. Or take a can of your favorite carb cleaner, take the air cleaner off and put a blast in the intake.

If it fires up momentarily on one of the above trys and dies right back out it is starved for gas big time.

Old 06-01-06, 05:32 PM
Engine won't start

Started fluid was put into the intake with no luck. Started fluid sprayed directly into chamber with plug put back in. No luck. Rechecked spark plug and it still gives a spark. What next?

Old 06-01-06, 08:26 PM
You're sure of spark? You have fuel with the starting fluid (not recomended) If you have compression this thing should run. Does it feel right when trying to start it? Some Hondas use a timing belt for the cam drive. Does it feel like a normal pull on the starter?

Old 06-02-06, 02:56 AM
Hopkinsr2 is on the right path. To an untrained person, though, it will be difficult to determine if you have sufficient compression required to compress and ignite the fuel by merely pulling on the rope. Ideally, you should do a leak-down test to help determine if and where you have a combustion chamber issue. And since most homeowners don't have this tool, you may want to take it to a shop and have them perform the test.

Old 06-02-06, 04:37 PM
Bob

What Hopkinsr2 said regarding starting fluid in a gas engine should be taken seriously. It is so volatile you can do engine damage (i.e. broken piston rings) or get flashback through the carburetor with it.

In other than a very cold engine it also floods very easily. With the amount you've indicated you used, it may have brought about a flooded condition. The small amount of gasoline he mentioned is a better solution. Then spin the motor with half throttle or more.

Hope this helps

Old 06-04-06, 12:03 PM
Engine won't start

Hey guys,
This is do it yourself.com, right? Why do I need to take the power washer to a repair shop to do a leak check? Just help me by letting me know what is the best tool to do a leak/compression test. Adding gas to the chamber does not work. I am not sure about the feel of whether I have compression or not when I pull it, but it feels fairly normal to me. Nevertheless, I want to go with the compression issue. Please advise. Thanks
-D

Old 06-04-06, 12:51 PM
nap
a couple of small things you might try.

remover the spark plug and just pull the rope until your arm falls off. Then let it continue to air out the cylinder for awhile. While the cylinder is airing out, use a propane torch to heat the spark plug.(you are actually burning of any gas may be on the plug.) When it cools down enough so you do not burn your fingers, re0install the plug and give it a whirl.

This has given me some minor success when an engine was flooded.

Old 06-04-06, 06:36 PM
Bob

The compression tester can be gotten through Autozone auto parts stores. Usually they will rent them.

Something to think about though. You have a sudden shutdown on a four stroke. Was it an oil burner? If not, you probably have good cylinder walls and rings. You have spark and have added fuel, hopefully dealing with possible flooding. No luck.

Apparently that engine has an internal timing belt for the OHV. A problem in that area would shown up in the compression test. I would take valve timing into consideration as you narrow this thing down.

Hope this helps

Old 06-06-06, 01:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Puey said "you may want to"...not "you need to" take it to a shop. Unless you know where to get a leakdown tester (I never saw one at any autozone), taking it to a shop may be the only way for you to have this test performed. Of course, you could shop around and find a leakdown tester for sale, buy it, and probably spend more for the tool than you would to just have a mechanic check it right quick.

Does the engine even have any compression at all?

Old 06-06-06, 06:41 PM
Bob

Pull the plug, tape the plug wire off to one side, stick your thumb over the plug hole and pull the rope. If there isn't enough compression to blow your thumb away from the hole, you have a valve problem.

If you have a valve problem like that, you may want to have a mechanic take care of it.

Hope this helps