pulley bad

Old 05-31-06, 03:30 PM
wwc
Unhappy pulley bad

I'm having a problem with the pulley that the rope attaches to to start the motor, it's a 12 hp briggs riding mower.
I replaced the old pulley under the cover and found that the center portion that slides down on the square end up out of the engine had rounded out.I bought a new one, got it all back together but something aint right.
Right before the old one went south it made a big squeel and after inspection i found it rounded out the center hole, when i got this one back together it worked fine for about five minutes and then it sounded like a cat was stuck in there.
took it all apart again and the center is rounding out again.
Any idea what causes this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-06, 04:01 PM
The part that you're describing as having a square piece on it is the starter ratchet.Take this part off again and clean the part of the crankshaft that slides into it with sand paper.This will take away the squel.

When tightening the starter ratchet be sure to get it tight.

Old 05-31-06, 07:11 PM
wwc
I didn't take off the starter rachet ( square tip ) when replacing the rope and pulley. here is my theory...
The squeeling is coming from the fact that instead of the rachet free wheeling after the motor starts it is locking up and reeming out the pulley because it can't turn because of being attached to the rope handle and the knot at the other end of the rope through the pulley.
When i took off the pulley the plastic was pretty hot.

Old 05-31-06, 08:47 PM
Yes,you're right to a point.But in all my 30+ years of small engine repair I've found that the squeeling and eaten out starter pulley is caused by one thing.The top journal of the crankshaft being dirty and sticky causing the starter rachet to stick and this wears the inside of the plastic pulley out.starter

Old 05-31-06, 09:13 PM
wwc
hmmmm, that sounds good too.

If i have to use a puller to get it off, how do i tighten the starter rachet like you said when i put it back on?

does it just drive back down onto the crank?
I'll do like you said , can you give me some more detailed instructions on removal and installation.

Old 06-01-06, 12:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just remove the flywheel screen and then pop the metal cover off the ratchet and pull the square part up by hand.

Old 06-01-06, 07:22 PM
wwc
Unhappy

I got it apart, everything turns real easy and the balls are smooth.
I cleaned them up and added some light oil and replaced everything and it turns easy as before.
Put the cover back on and pulled the rope and it started and after about 5 seconds it was screaming again.
Could there be a problem with the spring that rewinds the rope on the pulley?
I hand wound it and eased it into position, the rope pulls out fine and go's back in good too.

Old 06-02-06, 03:05 AM
You definitely still have an issue with the starter clutch (ratchet). Remove it again, use emery cloth on the crankshaft as well as use a fine file and bevel the very end (top) to remove any burrs. Now you need to similarly clean the ID of the clutch that mates to the crankshaft and then use a spray lube rathter than an oil.

Old 06-02-06, 07:51 PM
wwc
Smile fixed

i took off the clutch assemble again and after closer inspection i found that inside where the ball bearings roll ,in each "pocket" there were worn spots where the balls could be locking up and not rolling well.
I filed smooth all the rough places and emory clothed everything and polished it all smooth including the crank shaft end and inside the ratchet, lightly oiled everything and it now runs great.
I let it run for several minutes and it seems to be fine now.
Thanks for the help.

Old 06-03-06, 10:08 AM
Fantastic! You know where to find us should you need us again.