Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Still have Techumsae Carb Probs

05-31-06, 06:55 PM   #1  
Still have Techumsae Carb Probs

I am at wits end with these 5 to 6 hp tech's. I soak and clean the carbs, put new o rings in the fuel tube to the venturi, clean out the main jet and still the motor romps when at top throttle with the choak all the way off.

Of course the folks want them fixed for nothing.

There must be additional critical air passages in the carbs that I cannot get to or something is over my head here. I got three of them doing the same thing now.

Anybody know what gives?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-01-06, 01:03 AM   #2  
Did you clean the tiny holes in the bowl screw? Did you find all 4 holes?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-01-06, 05:58 AM   #3  
cheese

No I did not. These bowl screws function as the main jet also. It has a cross drill from sode to side for the gas to enter below the main jet which is drilled in vertically from the top to meet the passage made by the cross drill.

That makes three, where is the fourth one?

Non-US

06-01-06, 08:47 PM   #4  
Did you get the idle passage in the carb clean? If it's an older unit, you may have to remove the welsh plugs to clean it

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 06-01-06 at 08:59 PM.

NY

06-02-06, 02:48 AM   #5  
What are you soaking the carb in?

06-02-06, 06:53 PM   #6  
hop, I think you are right on the welch plug, I am gonna take it out next if I can get a new one. The head scratcher is that the motor idles well within the realsm of being ok. On second thought, I am gonna start making the main jet bigger when I get my jet drills next week.

Started soaking in carb cleaner, then switched to laquer thinner. No joy on any account.

06-03-06, 08:56 AM   #7  
...are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere, possibly the intake manifold gasket..?

06-03-06, 06:25 PM   #8  
I donno, I checked the intake gasgets with half a can of wd40 with no indications of leaks.

06-05-06, 02:25 PM   #9  
I was just at the shop looking for a cark kit for one of these. I have the vlv55 engine. The guy at the shop says he doesn't even carry the carb kits anymore and they stopped fixing them because they end up doing them for free. They tell their customers they will replace the whole carb or not touch it because they are such a problem.

The problem is, it's simple aluminum tube with plastic parts and they get warped easily, both the tube and the plastic. Even if you clean them and rebuild them propery and get it running, it wont run right and it will always have a problem with air leaks. The new carbs he priced at $52 for me which I thought too much for some crappy parts which is why I came here. I'm looking for some other solution.

06-05-06, 06:30 PM   #10  
gn

I got my jet drill bits in today, I will post back after experimenting.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-06-06, 01:20 AM   #11  
There is a 4th one. It is very small and is often overlooked...nearly impossible to see when it's clogged. It is in the unthreaded section of the bolt near the end.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-06-06, 12:23 PM   #12  
It is over guys, she purrs like a kitten. I found the git size that would go through the main jet and just started going a bit size bigger until it was happy. I think there was some kind of crust in the jet also

Search this Thread