Small Engine Oil Filter

Old 06-02-06, 04:51 AM
Smile Small Engine Oil Filter

I have three air-cooled engines with spin-on oil filters (15 HP Kawasaki on DR Brush Mower, 16 HP Koehler on Sears Mower and 20 HP Honda on portable sawmill). The price of the recommended OEM oil filters is rather steep for these engines. Could I safely substitute an automobile engine filter of the appropriate dimension? I know that there are quality differences from brand-to-brand, but are there operational differences which would create a problem switching from the OEM recommendation?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't be using fram (overpriced and badly made crud), but you can certainly use a automotive oil filter in place... many do..... the oil filter's made for the engine manufacturer is certainly not made by the engine manufacturer.... filter manufacturers like wix for instance makes oil filters for briggs.
Napa can cross reference a oil filter that will do, might be bigger.... as long as it has the same specs, it should work.

Old 06-02-06, 06:49 PM
I finally got the oil filter on my 18 hp Kaw crossed out and it came up the same as ont he wife's 4 cyl toyota Highlander

Old 06-07-06, 03:18 PM
NAPA can cross almost every small engine filter. Be aware that NAPA sells four different quality filter lines [Silver, Nascar, SME, and Gold.] and the best is the NAPA Gold line. These may not be cheaper than the factory filters.

Old 06-07-06, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the kohler, you should be able to use a purolator 10241 or an AC PF53. I've seen engines run for years and years with automotive filters on them, so I see no harm in it although some people will argue against it.

Old 06-10-06, 07:52 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
1991 dixson , 16 hp

been useing wix filters since new , and got alot of hours on this thing , go for it