Craftsman 6.5HP Carb or Governor Problem

Old 06-03-06, 08:34 AM
Question Craftsman 6.5HP Carb or Governor Problem

Thank you all for the forum,
Craftsman 6.5HP Briggs and Stratton# 120602 0138

A week ago I was having problems with the engine surging and dying so took it to shop to have carb cleaned and parts replaced on the carb, needle valve, gaskets, and a new float bowl. When I went to pick the lawn mower up I noticed that the man had put a new throttle cable assembly on it. When I got it home to start it up it started first pull but the RPM's are running way too high, It's all hooked up correctly, and the throttle cable will adjust but does nothing as far as the engine RPM's I took it back to the gentlemen who says it is the governor but has had a accident and unable to work on it. BUt prior to having it in the shop other than the carb needing cleaned it ran great. I am just wondering if it is something I can fix instead of having to put out more money. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 09:52 AM
I'm going to guess that when he reinstalled the air cleaner base plate he pinched the governor spring whereas it has excessive tension and wanting to overspeed the engine. I'd pull the air cleaner base off and be sure to not let the base interfere with the spring.