Trouble restarting mower

Old 06-04-06, 07:42 PM
sod
Trouble restarting mower

after it has run for a few minutes and the engine is warm. The mower is a Toro Recycler model 20023 with a 6HP briggs and straton engine. The problem occurs when I shut it down to empty the bag and maybe take a 5 minute break to get something to drink. When I try to restart it, it doesn't restart until I tried 3 to 5 times. When the engine is cold it starts on the first pull. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-06, 08:20 PM
Quantum? does it have a primer bulb or no?

Old 06-05-06, 02:53 AM
Briggs or Tecumseh engine? Are you priming the engine on restart or not? Overall, how is the power of the engine when cold? And...When at full operating temperature?

Old 06-05-06, 03:55 PM
sod
Engine is is a 6hp briggs, and yes

it does have a primer bulb. I don't prime on restart unless it doesn't start after 3 pulls. Then I will prime with one or pushes on the bulb. The engine seems to have adequate power, although it does surge for a couple of seconds after cold or hot start. The rpms level out after that. Puey1, you may remember that you help me adjust the speed control arm for the throttle after i hit a scrub a couple of weeks ago. Think the two are related?

Old 06-05-06, 08:02 PM
Did you take the air filter assembly off? The air filter cover, air filter and back part mounted to the carb?

Old 06-06-06, 05:45 PM
sod
No, I didn't take the air filter off when trying to restart

I replaced the filter a couple of months ago so it is relatively new. What makes you ask?

Old 06-06-06, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by sod
I replaced the filter a couple of months ago so it is relatively new. What makes you ask?
I'm talking about the gasket inbetween the carb and the back of the air filter box. If the back was taken off?

Old 06-07-06, 08:21 PM
My girlfriend's Troybuilt 6hp mower had a very similar problem. It would run great until you had to refuel it (about an hour); then wouldn't start at all. I removed spark plug and found it coated with black sooty crud; cleaned and reinstalled plug, cleaned and reinstalled air filter and it restarts on first or second pull.

After a couple of these episodes we changed to a new spark plug and new air filter and it runs much better now; restarts easily and reliably.

How old are your plug and air filter?

Old 06-09-06, 06:52 PM
sod
v8Driver, yes when I was trying to

solve the problem that turned out to be the speed control arm, I did take the air filter assembly at the the carb off. Do you think I may have not put the gasket back on right and that is what is causing the restart problem?

N74TG, the plugs and air filter were replaced a couple of months ago at the start of the mowing season here.

Last edited by sod; 06-09-06 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by sod
solve the problem that turned out to be the speed control arm, I did take the air filter assembly at the the carb off. Do you think I may have not put the gasket back on right and that is what is causing the restart problem?

N74TG, the plugs and air filter were replaced a couple of months ago at the start of the mowing season here.
If the gasket was torn or overtightened (or under) it could be a bit of a hard starter.

Old 06-09-06, 08:34 PM
could there be a head gasket leaking,when it cools down,it could be sucking air.just a guess..that might make it loose some compression.i would tighten the head bolts i would allso check the carb to engine bolts,to see if they are tight

Old 06-10-06, 06:23 PM
sod
v8Driver, the gasket was the problem

fixed it today and mowed the lawn with no restart problem. Thanks for the help. This site is great.

Old 06-10-06, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by sod
fixed it today and mowed the lawn with no restart problem. Thanks for the help. This site is great.
Glad to hear it!