fuel leaking from air filter

Old 06-05-06, 08:22 AM
fuel leaking from air filter

a friend asked me to look at her mower, wouldnt stay started. took the carb apart cleaned it reassembled it and it ran just find. but now its leaking fuel from the air filter. before i did anything i notice this also. its a 6.5 tecumseh mod #ovrm 120 22032d eng.family # ytpx1951aa. gravity fuel fed. can it be the float is no good? what would make gas travel to the air filter? i didnt get a rebuild kit. would this include o rings,and or everything need to repair the carb. thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 09:01 AM
Could be that the float has got a hole in it.or a piece of trash got between the inlet needle and seat causing the fuel not to be cut off.But in 99.7% of the time it defeats the perpous to clean the carb.with out putting fresh clean fuel in the tank.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-05-06 at 06:11 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours
Old 06-05-06, 01:49 PM
Im Using Fresh Fuel. Took It Apart Again, And When I Loosen The Manifold And Gas Was Comming Out There Also.

Old 06-05-06, 03:33 PM
Boy!!!!!!!your engine is full of gas isn't it???It is the needle valve not being shut off.While cleaning the carb.check the motor oil for smell of gas too.If so change it before you try to crank it again.

Old 06-06-06, 01:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suggest changing the float, needle, and seat. Then, when you're satisfied it isn't leaking anymore, change the oil too before starting it.

Old 06-13-06, 07:37 AM
got a rebuid kit installed the carb and it still leaked gas, took it apart about 5 more times and made adjustments on the flote tab but still was leaking. took it off one last time but this time i rotated the fuel bowl opposite of where i was mounting it and now its not leaking anymore. in the future i'll scribe a mark on everything before removing anything.

Old 09-04-06, 09:49 AM
rotated the fuel bowl???

I have the same issue and was searching the forumn for ideas. I have a 4.5 hp tecumseh and have carefully cleaned and reinstalled the needle and seat and all seems fine for a short while--that is when gas starts pouring out of the carb--I figure it has to be the float but cannot find a leak in it. Just about to qualify for the edger hammer throw in the next olympics when I ran across your thread?

Old 09-04-06, 09:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shake the float near your ear and if you hear something sloshing in it, it's bad. Toss it instead of the edger, lol.

Old 09-05-06, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your respose cheese -- I have thouroughly cleaned the carb and carfully installed needle and seat and the sucker will crank right up and run like a champ for about 2 or 3 minutes--just when I feel like I have done the job right it spits and sputters and gas comes pouring out every orafice north of the bowl gasket and continues even after the engine stops -- continues to pour until I loosen the bowl up (then alot of gas comes out) and start all over again. I don't think the float is bad because I have shook it as you indicated and held it under gas and watched for bubbles. The following is an exert from a related thread-----"Loosen the nut that holds the float bowel to the bottom of the carb, don't remove it. Turn the bowel a 1/4 turn then return it to it's original position and retighten the nut. The float bowel has an air pocket and by loosening the bowel allows the air to escape. This is commen when the bowel fills for the first time after it's been empty." Could this be it--willing to try since I am at the end of my rope.

Old 09-05-06, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nope...the carburetor is vented, so air will not be trapped in the bowl area.

Did you install a new seat? Did you install it right side up? Did you thoroughly clean the area where the new seat goes before installing it? Sometimes the old seat leaves small particles behind that need to be cleaned out or the new seat will not seal against the carb body.

Old 09-06-06, 07:48 PM
Problem solved-- Cheese, I stand humbled--I removed the float from the carb and shook it (LIKE YOU SAID) and apart from the carb it was sloshing gas (LIKE YOU SAID) and I tossed it instead of the edger (LIKE YOU SAID). all bs aside i want to thank you--because you took the time to respond to idiots like me I have an old edger that runs like new and a few bucks in my pocket that stayed put.

Old 09-06-06, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime Tiletrader!

Glad I could help, and thanks for the update!