Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Jd110 Smokes And Spits Oil

06-06-06, 05:32 AM   #1  
Jd110 Smokes And Spits Oil

I started my JD110 yesterday and it had white smoke bellowing out and it was spitting oil, I've used it 4 or 5 times all ready this year with no problems, what do i need to do to fix the problem?

Sponsored Links

06-06-06, 05:56 AM   #2  
is it spitting out the ewxhaust and if so how is the oil level and what does it smell like?

06-06-06, 05:59 AM   #3  
it is spitting out of the exhaust, I checked the oil level and it was fine, I didn't notice a smell

06-07-06, 05:30 AM   #4  
Check several things ?

I'm not familiar with the JD110 engine but someone here can help solve your problem! The problem could be unique to that unit but don't despair someone here will have the correct solution!

Here are a few generic "Possible" causes and things to check?

The issue of gas in the oil is a very important question. You must be sure that there is NO GAS in your oil! This can be caused by several things but a sticking or improperly set float valve is usually at fault (Assuming the carb on this unit is a bowl & float carb)?

How old is the engine? The problem could be a worn cylinder or rings if it is older. Is your engine still under warranty making it possible to have it professionally serviced?

Do you keep 2 cycle gas for other equipment? Are you SURE you haven't used it by mistake?

Is the exterior of your engine free of oil deposits and debris. This could cause the engine to run hot and cause the problem.

Have you recently tipped the engine on it's side for any reason? If leaned over incorrectly oil can run by the rings and fill your chamber causing the problem.

Are you running the engine without the air filter? The filter creates negative air pressure and if not present or if it is being bypassed due to a leaking seal oil can be forced into the chamber due to lack of proper negative pressure in the crankcase.

Check & clean the muffler as oily deposits can buildup there and cause the smoke but doesn't explain the plug becoming fouled.

Oil has obviously entered the combustion chamber and when burned out, the problem is over or oil is continuing to enter the combustion chamber? How many times have you cranked the engine and had the plug foul out? Have you checked the chamber for the quantity of oil present while you have the plug out for cleaning?

Check these things and answer these questions and I or someone else can probably get you closer to the CAUSE & SOLUTION? Good luck, Ron

PA

06-07-06, 09:41 AM   #5  
Is this the new Deere L110? or the old garden tractor 110 from the 1960's?

06-07-06, 10:30 AM   #6  
It is a new JD110, I have had it since 2003, it has a 17.5 hp Kohler engine in it. I don't own anything that requires 2 cycle gas, and the engine hasn't been tipped. The color of the smoke looks more blue than white now, and it has a toxic smell. I tried changing the oil, oil filter, and air filter, but obviously something else is wrong, any help is appreciated.

NC

06-07-06, 04:48 PM   #7  
weed3217,

If your Kohler is discharging oil from the exhaust I would assume that you have a busted piston, ring damage or major valve problems. Check your oil level? If it's to full you will have the same trouble.... Post back with oil level.

Sincerely,
Dave237

06-07-06, 06:13 PM   #8  
Don't forget if there is gas in the oil that it can be caused by and is likely caused by a sticking float valve or the float itself could be breached and filled with gas causing the valve to stay open. Is your engines gas tank above the engine and therefore the gas is gravity fed OR does your engine have a fuel pump? Fuel mixed with the gas does cause a dark smoke as you posted?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-07-06, 11:44 PM   #9  
Is the oil level overfull? Could also be a blown head gasket.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread